Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#18273 - 05/21/02 03:29 PM PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
We currently use a stand-alone PIN changing machine (the ATMjr.) to change PINs on ATM and debit cards. Does anyone use a phone-based product, where no machines are used? The customer just calls an 800 number and chooses a new PIN. How does it work? We thought there would be major security issues, so how is that handled? Any information would be appreciated.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#18274 - 05/21/02 03:40 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As a security measure, none of our employees know the PIN on a card. While the down side is the customer can't choose a PIN, and if it is lost we reissue the card with a new sealed PIN opened only by the customer, the upside is that it is one less thing to worry about.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#18275 - 05/21/02 04:30 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it permissible to issue "ATM" or "Debit cards" to savings account holders? If so, have you run in to problems with 3rd party transactions? (I've heard that some merchants accept "ATM only" cards for the purchase of merchandise.)

Return to Top
#18276 - 05/21/02 04:39 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
AMXSteve Offline
Wilmington, OH, USA
We allow customers to have ATM cards for savings accounts, but not "debit" cards. We permit customers to perform ATM withdrawals and deposits on savings accounts, but not point-of-purchase transactions. This eliminates problems with excessive preauthorized withdrawals from savings accounts using a debit card.

Return to Top
#18277 - 05/21/02 04:56 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Anonymous
Unregistered

You noted, "We permit customers to perform ATM withdrawals and deposits on savings accounts, but not point-of-purchase transactions." Does your mainframe system control this? I'm told that Wal-Mart accepts ATM cards for purchases as long as you use a PIN number.

Return to Top
#18278 - 05/21/02 05:14 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The system may be set up to allow DDA transfers under a debit or ATM mode and ATM only when accessed against a savings account.

Yes, the controls are systemic.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#18279 - 05/21/02 05:19 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Karen Williams Offline
California
EFTSource has a product that allows customers to choose their PINs via the telephone. The telephone call is placed at the New Accounts desk, the customer enters their PIN using the keypad, and then the New Accounts Rep receives a confirmation number, which is included in the information to EFTSource when the card is ordered. Of course the confirmation number is not reflective of the PIN that was chosen by the customer.

We have been using this service with great success. The only drawback I see is that the PIN must be four digits, and four digits only.

Return to Top
#18280 - 05/21/02 10:25 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
KEWilliams: Thanks for the info!
Do you have a web site for EFTSource? Or know of anywhere that I can get more information?
Thanks!

Return to Top
#18281 - 05/21/02 11:55 PM Re: PINs on ATM & Debit cards
Karen Williams Offline
California
EFT Source Inc.
800-237-3387
www.eftsource.com

Any more questions? Ask away! I almost have enough posts to get rid of my "newbie" status.

Return to Top