Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#29583 - 08/27/02 01:07 PM Escheatment of Cashier's Checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

When escheating cashier's checks to unclaimed property, would the owner be the remitter or the payee? I think it should be the remitter because he/she has come to you and purchased this cashier's check and he/she is the owner of said cashier's check until it is given to someone else. We have one cashier's check for over $3,000 payable to the IRS. I'm sure the IRS has their money from this individual. Wouldn't we contact the remitter? If it is not paid by now (7 years), I'm sure other arrangements were made. I'm interested to hear someone else's perspective on this. I've talked to two different states' unclaimed property dept and I have received two different answers.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#29584 - 08/27/02 03:12 PM Re: Escheatment of Cashier's Checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is another wrinkle for you. The Cashiers Check is the banks check and the bank is the owner.

Return to Top
#29585 - 08/27/02 03:49 PM Re: Escheatment of Cashier's Checks
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
So did the bank complete the IRS CC for themselves, if so, you should have record of the arrangement that was made and possibly not escheat at all.

Return to Top
#29586 - 08/27/02 04:42 PM Re: Escheatment of Cashier's Checks
Banknote Offline
Kentucky
No, the last anon wasn't me. (I forget to log on alot) The IRS check was from a couple (customer's) with their SSN listed as well in the remitter line. I really believe the money should go back to them.

Return to Top