Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#32763 - 09/13/02 04:38 PM Credit Reports
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there guidance on repulling a credit report? Is it permissible within a 60 day period? Would you have to get the borrowers authorization to pull credit again?

Thank you

Return to Top
General Discussion
#32764 - 09/13/02 04:42 PM Re: Credit Reports
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
As long as you have a bona fide reason, such as seeing what the customer’s current financial condition is in relation to current loan, no.

Return to Top
#32765 - 09/13/02 05:49 PM Re: Credit Reports
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
dpersful has it. You need to have a "legitimate business purpose", such as evaluating the borrower's credit profile in the context of their account with you. FCRA sets no limits based on time. However, it is always a good idea to make sure that your state doesn't have a more protective statute that would set limits.

Return to Top
#32766 - 09/13/02 07:57 PM Re: Credit Reports
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I want to pull a credit report to look for a social security number that has been requested in a subpoena, but we don't have on file, is that a legit business purpose?!?

Return to Top
#32767 - 09/13/02 08:04 PM Re: Credit Reports
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You want to use the CBR to verify a SSAN or to fish for one? If you may be pulling a report on a non-applicant, non-customer I'd say it is not legit.

If you are verifying data provided to you by a customer, I'd say yes. I am not sure what you are doing checking on a subpoena though. Sounds like it could be fishing?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#32768 - 09/13/02 08:24 PM Re: Credit Reports
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I agree Andy, a subpoena is a vehicle allowing them to legally discover what you know and have. If you currently don't have it or don't know it, I wouldn't be doing a whole lot of investigating to find it.

Return to Top
#32769 - 09/13/02 08:27 PM Re: Credit Reports
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I definitely agree with Andy, if you are looking for a SSN from a CBR, then you are fishing and I wouldn't classify that as a legimate business purpose. The identiy of your customer should had been established before pulling the original CBR and/or closing the loan.

Return to Top