Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#51138 - 12/30/02 08:11 PM Finance Charge - Float Fee
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've read the regulation, commentary and many previous posts regarding finance charges-but I'm not finding this addressed and need some help thinking this through.

We charge a .25% NON-REFUNDABLE float down fee at the time of application, which allows the applicant after a lock to do a one time float down to a lower current rate.

Since the fee is not refundable, and it would be offered in a similar cash transaction, I'm leaning towards it not being a finance charge, but since it seems similar to a discount point, could it could be a finance charge?

opinions expressed are my own and not those of my employer

Return to Top
General Discussion
#51139 - 12/30/02 08:20 PM Re: Finance Charge - Float Fee
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
How would a rate decrease provision be allowed in a cash comparable transaction?

See if this helps. This is XL.

The OCC also has this on PDF page 98, book page 95 in a TiLA manual.
Last edited by Andy Z; 12/30/02 08:26 PM.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#51140 - 12/30/02 08:29 PM Re: Finance Charge - Float Fee
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry! I must still be in vacation mode. Why on earth would they need to float a rate if they are paying cash?!

Thanks for the chart, this seems more like a discount point, allowing the borrower to buy down or float down at a later time. So I think it's a finance charge.

Return to Top
#51141 - 12/30/02 08:32 PM Re: Finance Charge - Float Fee
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I would agree.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#51142 - 12/30/02 08:32 PM Re: Finance Charge - Float Fee
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
In reply to:

How would a rate decrease provision be allowed in a cash comparable transaction?

My thought exactly. I see no way this could be a fee associated with a comparable cash transaction, as a cash transactio would not have "rate" to buy down.

Melissa, IMO this fee is a finance charge, it is a fee your institution is charging in relation to the loan.

Return to Top