Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#55220 - 01/17/03 05:38 PM NEW ACCOUNTS: Absent joint owner
Data Offline
100 Club
Data
Houston
We are recently experiencing a rash of customers that want to open joint accounts but will not come in together. They say they have always taken the paperwork home to their spouse or business partner for signatures. Our policy is not to allow this unless the New Accounts Rep feels that an exception is warranted. Is this too restrictive?
Last edited by mbguard; 01/23/03 09:48 PM.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#55221 - 01/17/03 05:39 PM Re: New Account Files
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We now require all individuals (except out of town) to be present. We will hold documentation at the branch and wait for the 2nd person to come in so we may properly identify them.

Return to Top
#55222 - 01/17/03 05:40 PM Re: New Account Files
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
No, it isn't to restrictive. If they are local, we prefer they come in. They need not be together, but short of a medical reason, for example, there shouldn't be a need for docs to be taken out.

If you allow this now, likely CIP will influence your policy in a few months anyway and you'd be reversing yourself, again.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#55223 - 01/17/03 05:43 PM Re: New Account Files
AnnL Offline
Gold Star
AnnL
Western PA
We also require all customers to come in and will hold paperwork no more than 2 weeks for the 2nd signer. Of course we do not issue checks, debit cards etc. until all signers have come in. In this day of Know Your Customer and US PATRIOT Act I don't think there is really much choose but to have the customer in front of you with ID in hand!!!

Return to Top
#55224 - 01/17/03 05:44 PM Re: New Account Files
Data Offline
100 Club
Data
Houston
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I was just afraid there was something that I was not seeing. We currently have way too many suspense files that never seem to be cured.

Return to Top
#55225 - 01/17/03 07:12 PM Re: New Account Files
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Do you have online account opening? If so, how do you handle joint account openings online?

Return to Top
#55226 - 01/17/03 08:03 PM Re: New Account Files
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
We used to allow it (another bank) on an exception, but the other signer had to have their signature notarized.

On businesses though this is different. Many accounts are open away from the office. Signers can be added at any time with use of a new sig card as long as the parties responsible for the account can have their signatures verified when the addition takes place.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top