Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#135281 - 12/01/03 09:16 PM Computer Room Temperatures
Doxie Pride Offline
We are looking at the possiblity of putting our computer/proof room on a separate thermostat. Does anyone have any documentation or articles that I can refer to regarding the recommended room temperatures for servers and bank equipment? I have heard that higher temperatures can cause equipment difficulties, however I have not seen anything to document this.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#135282 - 12/01/03 10:25 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Computer rooms are generally cooler so the machines operate optimally. The equipment itself should indicate the best temperature. There may be some industry guidelines, but I'd start with the company specs using the lowest setting for a piece of equipment.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#135283 - 12/02/03 02:37 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
We have 13 servers in our room with 5 monitors and two printers. I keep the temperature around 65 - 68 (F) and there is a seperate cooling unit in the server room to keep things nice and chilly.

I work in I.T., so to address your question specifically, higher temperature and poor ventilation do cause equipment failure because most modern computers shut down when their core temperatures reach certain levels. Most users won't notice the heat that their box is generating, but, if you go into the computers' BIOS (built in operating system) you can check the system temperature and see how things are running. Even dust can affect the system temp, due to dust bunnies clogging the fan intakes / outputs.

Hope that helps some.

Return to Top
#135284 - 12/02/03 03:58 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
MB Puyear Offline
MB Puyear
Oklahoma
What about cold temperatures? Our boss is arguing against turning the heat on in the area where some of our data tapes are stored.

Return to Top
#135285 - 12/02/03 04:48 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chi:
It's my understanding that regular PC's, including a network servers (outsourced environment), really don't have heat problems like mainframe type equipment. Is that correct?

Return to Top
#135286 - 12/02/03 05:01 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Some info on room temperatures.

"Most devices are not certified to function properly beyond 50°C-80°C (122°F-176°F)."
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#135287 - 12/02/03 06:13 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

Chi:
It's my understanding that regular PC's, including a network servers (outsourced environment), really don't have heat problems like mainframe type equipment. Is that correct?

Generally speaking, that is true. PC's running in an office environment usually need about 2 - 3 fans running. That is to say, 1 fan sitting directly on the processor (the 'pentium' chip if you will) and then one or two fans to blow cool air in and hot air out. That will keep most computers happy and prevent them from shutting down.

The banking environment isn't particularly demanding, and for the most part, any given bank is running computers that are keeping up with the demands of operating systems (Windows XP) and proprietary software (Microsoft Office) rather than actually banking software. I have a friend at Microsoft and their server room is the same temperature as mine; however, you can pull up a floor panel and float a lunchroom tray on the jet of cold air flowing into the room. They just have a lot more machines running software that is more demanding on the CPU.

So, in reality, the only problem most people run into is when you cluster a lot of machines together. Then, a heat issue may come into play. We run our servers 24x7 so it's important that we keep the room cool so they don't shut down. We have servers in each of our branches, but since they are in their own rooms, they don't need to be individually cooled.

Return to Top
#135288 - 12/02/03 06:17 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
Quote:

What about cold temperatures? Our boss is arguing against turning the heat on in the area where some of our data tapes are stored.

Well, unless the temperature exceeds 80 degrees, there shouldn't be a problem. With any sort of storage media, you want to avoid heat / cold extremes, but I don't think you necessarily have to be hypersensitive about temperature. We keep the heating / cooling system at 72 year round for the entire bank. That temperature doesn't even come close to disturbing any data anywhere.

Return to Top
#135289 - 12/02/03 06:50 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Chi, you seem pretty knowledgeable on this. Why aren't the fans designed to blow air INTO the case, where a filter could be put on the outside and regularly cleaned? This would help keep dust and debris out of the cases. I've never seen a filter for this, but it makes sense to me unless the fans can't move enough air through a filter without getting to loud or strained.

Filters at vents would also help. I've heard time and again of techs getting into a case and finding computer bugs, real bugs. Nasty stuff.

Return to Top
#135290 - 12/02/03 08:52 PM Re: Computer Room Temperatures
Chi Offline
Platinum Poster
Chi
New England
I suppose I can point to the last part of your post to answer your first question. If you have fans that are sucking air in, you're going to be pulling A LOT of nasty stuff in there and putting a filter on the outside, you're going to have all that gunk blocking the airflow. Yes, they would be easier to replace, but that sort of maintenance (think about a computer on the floor acting as a vacuum) is unappealing to the average user. You can get fans that do that (or, if you're the playful kind, re-wire the fan) but generally speaking if your computer is crammed with components, you have decent air flow which should keep things relatively cool.

They actually do have fan filters out on the market, the only problem is that most manufacturers see it as an expense that isn't necessary. Day to day users don't open their boxes unless there is a problem, and the manufactuers think what they don't know about can't hurt them. So, a box that has been sitting on the floor for five or six years that has never been touched...well, I'm putting on chain mail gloves before I go into that thing for fear of brown recluses and rattlers.

I build 'modified' computers as a side business. Basically, I buy cases, put windows in them, etc. use trick lighting (cathode tubes, led fans, black lights) and make them a little more aesthetic. I've found that cheesecloth makes a really good filter, it's hardly noticeable and easily replaceable / cheap.

Return to Top