Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#171827 - 03/22/04 03:48 PM RESPA RULE Withdrawn
Elaine K. Sheehan Offline
100 Club
Elaine  K. Sheehan
Grand Rapids, MI
Today at 10:30 AM HUD Acting Secretary Alphonso Jackson announced that HUD is withdrawing its rule, will revise if necessary, and will republish it.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#171828 - 03/22/04 05:04 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
This is a reverse. A good one I might say. Was this political pressure?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#171829 - 03/22/04 05:43 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
Elaine K. Sheehan Offline
100 Club
Elaine  K. Sheehan
Grand Rapids, MI
Acting HUD Secretary Jackson, whose nomination as Secretary has been held up on this issue, cited comments from the OMB, SBA, FTC, Congress, consumer groups and business groups as the major reason for withdrawl of the rule. Of course this didn't bother HUD before. Jackson said it would be unfair to publish this rule without those who it affects having a chance to comment on it since it has changed from when it was originally proposed. One other tid bit, it has been reported recently that the rule has lost Whitehouse support, bad political timing may be the real reason for its withdrawl.

Return to Top
#171830 - 03/22/04 05:57 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
sue's mom Offline
Gold Star
sue's mom
IL
What rule is this? Have I been under a bushel basket?

Return to Top
#171831 - 03/22/04 06:05 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It was a proposal, of major proportions. Some searches will yield results on what they were. However, they may be moot now.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#171832 - 03/22/04 06:12 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Why do I feel as though we just received a telephone call from the governor? Whew!

Return to Top
#171833 - 03/22/04 06:14 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Actually, I was looking forward to further clarification of the Section 8 prohibitions and dreading any new disclosure issues. RESPA continues to be poorly written with yet again no real relief in sight.

Return to Top
#171834 - 03/22/04 07:44 PM Re: RESPA RULE Withdrawn
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
But you could hardly call the rule HUD was considering, or the one they proposed originally, to be improvements. Randy, we all agree that RESPA and Reg X are poorly written. But until responsibility for enforcement moves from HUD to the banking agencies, all we're likely to get is more of the same. This is the agency that still hasn't revised Reg X to reflect the 1996 EGRPRA changes!

All together now: HUD spelled backwards is ....

Return to Top