Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1038597 - 09/10/08 02:58 PM POD accounts and Social Security Numbers
Compliance Audit Offline
100 Club
We currently do not require a social security number for a person designated as POD on an account, however we are thinking of starting. Our customer service reps and personal bankers are resistant because they feel the customers will be hesitant to provide the information. How is everyone handling this - are you getting a social secuiry # for a POD?

Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1038828 - 09/10/08 04:32 PM Re: POD accounts and Social Security Numbers Compliance Audit
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
At my bank, we try to get as much contact information as possible (including SS# and sometimes even ID info) and explain that if something should happen to the account holder, the more info we have on the POD, the easier it will be for the POD to gain access to the account more quickly.

We don't require a SS# but when it's explained to a customer that the less info we have now, the more the POD will have to provide while already going though a hard time, they generally give us everything we need.

Return to Top
#1040817 - 09/12/08 01:17 PM Re: POD accounts and Social Security Numbers Clown Boy
JimK Offline
100 Club
Alexandria, VA
We do request the TIN; generally if the bnf. is a immediate family member it is provided. It is more of a challenge for unrelated beneficiares. Without some identifing info. we advise it may be difficult for us to locate the bnf or ensure we have the correct person. For example: if John Smith is the bnf. good luck in finding the right one.

Return to Top
#1040824 - 09/12/08 01:23 PM Re: POD accounts and Social Security Numbers JimK
TrngMgr Offline
NJ
We do not. I do not establish a CIF for the POD until such time as the POD becomes our customer.

Return to Top