Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2166368 - 03/01/18 06:37 PM Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination?
JAM Offline
100 Club
We have an MSB customer that requires a lot of cash on a regular basis. We are comfortable with the operation. Due to the cash demands of the MSB customer we added a 3rd cash deliverys to the branch each week. Management would like to pass the cost of the 3rd delivery on to the customer by increasing the standard MSB flat fee we charge from $100 to $950 per month. All MSB customers currently pay $100 flat fee and then analysis fees based on transaction volume. I am worried that charging nearly 10 times the flat fee to just this customer might cause us issues with regulators. However, we can't make money if we absorb the cost of the 3rd delivery and we are in business to make money. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2166374 - 03/01/18 06:57 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? JAM
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Yeah, don't charge flat fees for these types of customers. Or at a certain point, their fees become negotiable based on the characteristics of their business and servicing needs.

There are no fair deposit laws, so charge for your costs and services as you deem appropriate.

Return to Top
#2166375 - 03/01/18 06:58 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? JAM
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Banks discriminate all the time. It's allowed. We give people with better credit ratings a better deal. We pay people who maintain larger balances higher interest rates. The only restriction is that we cannot treat people differently based on a "prohibited basis;" e.g. race, gender, etc.

This customer costs you more money than your other customers do. If you do not charge him accordingly it's the other customers whom you are discriminating against. (Your management's ability is also suspect.)

Do not make a fee schedule for this customer. Make up a fee schedule that would apply to any customer whose activity is like this one.

Return to Top
#2166376 - 03/01/18 07:01 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? JAM
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
They create the demand - they pay the fee. Pretty simple to me.

Return to Top
#2166378 - 03/01/18 07:09 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? JAM
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Oh yeah, show him the fee schedule before you implement it. There is some possibility he will leave. Either way, problem solved.

There are some customers that would make your bank more profitable when they left. Finding them is an accomplishment.

Return to Top
#2166379 - 03/01/18 07:10 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? Elwood P. Dowd
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Originally Posted By Ken_Pegasus
we cannot treat people differently based on a "prohibited basis;" e.g. race, gender, etc.
...credit, only.

Originally Posted By #Just Jay
There are no fair deposit laws

Return to Top
#2166381 - 03/01/18 07:18 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? Richard Insley
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Naaaah. Statutory protection or not, a bank cannot refuse to open an account for a woman wearing a hajib on that basis alone. You can't even charge her more.

Oh well, I guess you could, but plan on kissing your --- goodbye.

Return to Top
#2166393 - 03/01/18 07:44 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? JAM
JAM Offline
100 Club
Thank you all for the input! I will see if there is a fee structure that I can put together that applies to anyone in a similar situation, just to be on the safe side. But really, in the end the other option is to not bank them.

Return to Top
#2166458 - 03/01/18 11:35 PM Re: Higher fee for a customer possible discrimination? Elwood P. Dowd
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I should have added that what is "legal" isn't always ethical or good for business.

Return to Top