Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2231857 - 02/27/20 01:48 PM Proof of Address for Cash Advance Non-Customer
Bankwoman1 Online
Diamond Poster
Midwest
If we are processing a cash advance for a non-customer and the address on their photo ID is not their current address, should we be asking for another form of ID with their correct physical address as proof? Or is a verbal notification OK?

Thanks!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2231875 - 02/27/20 03:22 PM Re: Proof of Address for Cash Advance Non-Customer Bankwoman1
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
What is your bank approved policy say? Those are your guidelines and marching instructions, not an answer from a banker with a different clientele and risk profile.

Return to Top
#2231882 - 02/27/20 03:36 PM Re: Proof of Address for Cash Advance Non-Customer Bankwoman1
Bankwoman1 Online
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Basically our procedures state that we collect a valid photo ID and we must fill in the cash advance ticket in full. It doesn't provide details on how we should handle a non-customer with a valid photo ID that now has a different address. I was just curious how other banks might handle this situation and whether or not this was cause to deny doing a cash advance for the non-customer. If it was a customer of ours, we wouldn't have an issue because we do have procedures in place for updating an address for them.

I was just curious if others would just accept a verbal address, write down the one on the license, require additional ID or just deny the cash advance (which I don't want to do if it's against Mastercard rules).

Return to Top
#2231899 - 02/27/20 04:17 PM Re: Proof of Address for Cash Advance Non-Customer Bankwoman1
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
Mastercard Rule 3.1.1

The following steps are required for all face-to-face unique Transactions (TCC of U) and Manual Cash Disbursement Transactions, unless PIN or CDCVM is used as the CVM:

Request personal identification in the form of an unexpired, official government document (for example, a passport, identification document, or driver’s license) that bears the Cardholder’s signature, the Cardholder’s photograph, or both.
Check whether the signature, if present, on the personal identification appears to match the signature on the Card, if a signature panel is present on the Card, and if a signature is present on the signature panel.
Compare the photograph, if present, with the person presenting the Card.
Record the personal identification type and number on the Transaction receipt

A person conducting a cash advance does not meet the definition of "customer." You are not performing CIP on this person and there is no address verification requirements. As noted in Mastercard rules, evaluate the security features of the card, compare the name on the card to the name on the ID and compare signatures on the ID to the receipt.

Return to Top
#2231904 - 02/27/20 04:24 PM Re: Proof of Address for Cash Advance Non-Customer BrianC
Bankwoman1 Online
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thank you Brian! I do tend to have "CIP focused brain" it seems! smile This makes perfect sense and clears up the situation in my head. I've been asked this question twice in the last couple of days and had it in my head that we needed to verify address also. I appreciate your help and the reference to the MC Rules.

Thanks again!

Return to Top