Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#3798 - 08/17/01 02:34 PM Accounts/ATM cards
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Hope someone can help me with this question. If someone (consumer) opens an account and we issue them an ATM card, can they obtain an additional ATM card for someone of their choice who is NOT a co-owner on the account? Say the person who is not a co-owner of the account lives in another country?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#3799 - 08/17/01 02:58 PM Re: Accounts/ATM cards
De Vonne Offline
That's FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD waiting to happen.

Return to Top
#3800 - 08/17/01 03:47 PM Re: Accounts/ATM cards
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
That would depend on what the bank wants to do. But the post above is good advice.

I wouldn't want to issue an access device to a non-owner.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#3801 - 08/17/01 03:57 PM Re: Accounts/ATM cards
rhurlbert Offline
rhurlbert
Spokane, WA
I would think it would be very difficult to meet the requirements of dispute resolution if your institution knowingly assists a customer in giving access to a non-account owner.
For example - We would question a customer who wanted us to dishonor a withdrawal made by someone who they "loaned" their card to but took more than agreed - your situation could make some of those examples a common thing. Who would file the EFT Inquiry? The account owner who didn't do the transaction? The card user who hasn't signed your signature card and agreed to the account rules?
I would pass if I were you.

------------------
Randy at Washington Trust

Return to Top
#3802 - 08/18/01 04:43 AM Re: Accounts/ATM cards
BankerMama Offline
Diamond Poster
BankerMama
Thanks to all of you. I have the exact same concerns,however, sometimes I have a tendency to over-react to some issues. Just wanted to know if that were the case here.

Return to Top
#3803 - 08/17/01 06:33 PM Re: Accounts/ATM cards
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You should also refer to the VISA rules if you use a VISA branded debit card. You cannot issue a standard card to anyone outside the US. Plus, what easier way to move drug money off shore and not have to worry about 4789 reporting?

Return to Top