Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#18002 - 05/16/02 09:15 PM TX - Free copies of checks?
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
I've been told that Texas law allows banks to charge for providing copies of checks, but that the first three must be provided free of charge.

I've been searching the internet for 45 minutes now and can't find anything to support this. I would expect that it would be tied somehow to check-safekeeping, but I can't find anything. I give up.

Does anyone know if this is really a true requirement and if so, please provide me with a cite?

Thanks!

Return to Top
#18003 - 05/17/02 11:26 AM Re: TX - Free copies of checks?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The Texas legislature made a nonconforming amendment by adding an additional sentence to the end of 4.406(b)of the UCC:

(b) If the items are not returned to the customer, the person retaining the items shall either retain the items or, if the items are destroyed, maintain the capacity to furnish legible copies of the items until the expiration of seven years after receipt of the items. A customer may request an item from the bank that paid the item, and that bank must provide in a reasonable time either the item or, if the item has been destroyed or is not otherwise obtainable, a legible copy of the item. A bank shall provide, on request and without charge to the customer, at least two items or a legible copy of the items with respect to each statement of account sent to the customer.

Return to Top
#18004 - 05/17/02 02:30 PM Re: TX - Free copies of checks?
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Thanks for the information, Ken! You 'da man.

Between trying to understand California and Texas laws, this poor Missouri boy's head is sometimes swimming.

-- Tony

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z