Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1893852 - 02/05/14 05:46 PM VOI FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS - Appendix Q
zosogirlie Offline
New Poster
How would you make a reasonable expectation that a person in an elected position whose term expires this year will have income for the next 3 years?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Return to Top
Ability to Repay/Qualified Mortgage Rule
#1893875 - 02/05/14 06:30 PM Re: VOI FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS - Appendix Q zosogirlie
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Would they not be returning to their former profession? Wouldn't that fall under the "extended absence from work rule"? OR will they be retiring and you can document their retirement income?

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1893882 - 02/05/14 06:41 PM Re: VOI FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS - Appendix Q zosogirlie
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
If they have investments, that income can be counted. If they are a member of congress, their assets are normally put into a blind trust. If they lose election, that trust would now be used as income.
There are a lot of questions left in your original post.
What elected position? national, state, or local.
How many years served? Does it provide a retirement after defeat or retirement?

Return to Top
#1893885 - 02/05/14 06:44 PM Re: VOI FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS - Appendix Q zosogirlie
zosogirlie Offline
New Poster
I'm not sure if they would return to former profession. I'm assuming they are not likely looking to retire. My concern was that the intent may be to keep the office, but that they may not be re-elected?

Return to Top
#1893893 - 02/05/14 06:50 PM Re: VOI FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS - Appendix Q hgliii
zosogirlie Offline
New Poster
hgliii - to clarify it is a State Senator who has been in office a number of years. I don't know about the retirement offering, but you have brought up good points and provided some direction to head in. Thank you again.

Return to Top
#1893899 - 02/05/14 06:55 PM Re: VOI FOR ELECTED OFFICIALS - Appendix Q zosogirlie
hgliii Offline
Platinum Poster
Usually, politician that have been in office for a while make money outside the office. In TN the state legislature does not pay a good wage, since it is in session only about 120 days a year. I think, and probably should know, that they make under $20,000 a year.
Last edited by hgliii; 02/05/14 06:55 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Return to Top