Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2229734 - 01/28/20 02:34 PM STOP THE PRESSES on your 1098s!
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
On Friday, the IRS issued updated guidance on reporting mortgage insurance premiums on Form 1098.

If you collect mortgage insurance premiums on loans and report interest received on Form 1098, there's been a retroactive change (thanks, Congress). Of immediate concern is reporting for calendar year 2019 (if you've already sent out the borrower statement on Form 1098, you will need to send corrected statements if you received MIP payments). And there's also something you may want to do for calendar year 2018 1098s, too.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
Mortgage Servicing Rules
#2229777 - 01/28/20 05:27 PM Re: STOP THE PRESSES on your 1098s! John Burnett
Sunshine Lady Offline
Platinum Poster
Sunshine Lady
Thank you so much John, I say that on the BOL this morning and sent it to the people who needed the information.

Return to Top
#2230750 - 02/11/20 09:05 PM Re: STOP THE PRESSES on your 1098s! John Burnett
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
Stupid question time.

The IRS says 'should' issue corrected 1098s. I know in legalese 'shall' means it is required and 'may' means it is optional, so where does 'should' fall into that range?

We can't rerun our 1098s because our core doesn't allow it once we have filed, so all corrections would have to be done manually. That is a big job so before starting, the department just wants to know if this is something we have to do.

I have been arguing that it should be done, because if they are 'strongly recommending' we go back and correct the 2018 filing, then 'should' probably is also a strong recommendation even if not required. It is also a customer service issue in my mind, but I can also see their point of the work involved, so I don't want to tell them they absolutely have to do it if they don't.

?

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2230762 - 02/11/20 10:18 PM Re: STOP THE PRESSES on your 1098s! John Burnett
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Should is the past tense of "shall" and regulators, including the IRS, typically mean "must," even though in spoken English, "should" is considered like "ought to" rather than "must."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2231261 - 02/19/20 03:30 PM Re: STOP THE PRESSES on your 1098s! John Burnett
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
Thank you John. I majored in math, not English. I never realized (or probably even thought about) shall being conjugated and what the different tenses might be. That is enlightening.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top