Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1828795 - 06/28/13 03:46 PM Disparate Impact
beegee Offline
Diamond Poster
South
The article “Disparate Impact in Lending” in the March-April 2013 ABA Bank Compliance issue stated that a bank could face disparate impact if it charges a fee for paper statements and not e-statements because it could have an adverse effect on low-income folks who don't have a computer.

Has a bank been cited for disparate impact because of this?

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#1828804 - 06/28/13 03:52 PM Re: Disparate Impact beegee
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The statements would have to be related to a loan account and how many low-income folks have lines of credit? I have never heard of this and I think it may have been part of the active imagination of the author. Plus, I have never seen a bank impose a charge (which would be a finance charge) on an open-end credit for the delivery of paper statements to begin with.

Return to Top
#1828811 - 06/28/13 03:56 PM Re: Disparate Impact rlcarey
beegee Offline
Diamond Poster
South
Thanks - the article states "it's worth noting that disparate impact investigations seem to be going beyond lending practices to other aspects of banking or "fair banking.""

--- but I do not recall hearing of any investigations on paper versus e-statements in regards to disparate impact.

Return to Top
#1828818 - 06/28/13 04:06 PM Re: Disparate Impact beegee
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
disparate impact investigations seem to be going beyond lending practices to other aspects of banking or "fair banking."

If this is true, I would be curious as what they plan to use to prosecute such cases - The Civil Rights Act??? Because, I can't imagine any bank in their right mind rolling over on such a claim without testing it in a court of law, as it would set a precedent for a landslide of civil cases on everything from the offering of deposit products, to the sale of monetary instruments to customers only (as the unbanked might be low-income).

Besides, if they really used the term low-income in the article, it really is not very well written. Last I checked, income level was not a protected basis found in Regulation B for the FHA.

Return to Top