Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2126559 - 04/17/17 05:57 PM Residency and Immigration Status
Louie72 Offline
100 Club
If in the course of taking a loan application it is determined that the applicant is not a documented citizen of the United States. They are working but are undocumented. Does ECOA apply? I'm asking this incase this should happen. To date it has not.

Return to Top
Fair Lending
#2126560 - 04/17/17 06:07 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Like anything else - it is all or nothing. You can't treat two similar applicants differently. However, you do have this:

Paragraph 6(b)(7)

1. National origin—immigration status. The applicant's immigration status and ties to the community (such as employment and continued residence in the area) could have a bearing on a creditor's ability to obtain repayment. Accordingly, the creditor may consider immigration status and differentiate, for example, between a noncitizen who is a long-time resident with permanent resident status and a noncitizen who is temporarily in this country on a student visa.

2. National origin—citizenship. A denial of credit on the ground that an applicant is not a United States citizen is not per se discrimination based on national origin.

Return to Top
#2126561 - 04/17/17 06:09 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
ECOA would apply, because they are an applicant, and applicants have to be treated consistently.

1002.6(b)7 indicates (7) Immigration status. A creditor may consider the applicant's immigration status or status as a permanent resident of the United States, and any additional information that may be necessary to ascertain the creditor's rights and remedies regarding repayment.

Commentary
Paragraph 6(b)(7)
1. National origin—immigration status. The applicant's immigration status and ties to the community (such as employment and continued residence in the area) could have a bearing on a creditor's ability to obtain repayment. Accordingly, the creditor may consider immigration status and differentiate, for example, between a noncitizen who is a long-time resident with permanent resident status and a noncitizen who is temporarily in this country on a student visa.

2. National origin—citizenship. A denial of credit on the ground that an applicant is not a United States citizen is not per se discrimination based on national origin.

Return to Top
#2126564 - 04/17/17 06:13 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status rlcarey
Louie72 Offline
100 Club
There would be no way to run a credit check without a SS# or W8-BEN, am I right?

Return to Top
#2126567 - 04/17/17 06:17 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
Inherent_Risk Offline
Platinum Poster
Would you be denying them because you can't run credit or because they aren't a citizen or because they are in the country illegally? All three of these reasons are acceptable under ECOA as long as they are applied consistently, but ECOA most certainly applies.

Return to Top
#2126570 - 04/17/17 06:22 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Inherent_Risk
Louie72 Offline
100 Club
Yes, these would be the reasons. Thank you.

Return to Top
#2126595 - 04/17/17 07:38 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Check to see if you have a state law that is broader than Reg B. In CA, we have the Unruh Act. California’s Unruh Civil Rights Act (Civil Code Section 51) prohibits discrimination based on citizenship, immigration status and primary language. As a result, if the Bank relies on Regulation B Section 1002.6 and its commentary to condition or restrict a loan based on an applicant’s citizenship or immigration status it could be found to violate the Unruh Act.

Return to Top
#2126615 - 04/17/17 08:43 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status TryingtoComply
Louie72 Offline
100 Club
Thanks for your reply.

Return to Top
#2126638 - 04/17/17 10:06 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
What TryingtoComply said. Wells Fargo is currently being sued for violation of the UNRUH act.

Return to Top
#2126743 - 04/18/17 04:36 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
Reg Warrior Online
100 Club
To top it off, the wonderful legislature in CA passed a resolution this year that the MLA is violation of the Unruh Act as it requires the a SSN to determine military benefits, due to the fact not all immigrants have a SSN.

Return to Top
#2126775 - 04/18/17 05:51 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You mean the military as whole and not the MLA? You have to have a SSN to enlist, regardless of whether you are an immigrant or non-immigrant.

Return to Top
#2126839 - 04/18/17 08:26 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West

Return to Top
#2126842 - 04/18/17 08:44 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"By requiring lenders to ask for a social security number in order to meet the safe harbor provisions of the MLA"

So, you have a borrower sitting in front of you that says they don't have a SSN and you believe them. What do you need a safe harbor under the MLA for?? Without a SSN they cannot possibly be in the military. Dependent without a SSN - one in 10 million maybe. I guess I don't understand their point.

Return to Top
#2129215 - 05/04/17 04:31 PM Re: Residency and Immigration Status Louie72
Vive Accommodare Offline
Platinum Poster
Vive Accommodare
Compliance
The issue we are running into (we are also located in California) is we have borrowers who are under the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) which means though they are protected from deportation, they are not deemed "lawfully" in the country. Under the Unruh Civil Rights Act it states you cannot discriminate based on national origin. When we're processing the application, the program itself disqualifies a borrower if they are a Non-U.S. Person. We aren't discriminating based on their origin, we're having to decline because the loan program will not lend to Non-U.S. People, and we don't service loans. I believe we are still covered under ECOA and especially in this instance, not discriminating based on their national origin. Any thoughts?

Return to Top