Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1975789 - 11/12/14 06:49 PM Spousal Consent - non spouse beneficiaries of IRA
Florida Offline
New Poster
If an account holder of an IRA resides in the State of Pennsylvania but opens his/her IRA in a bank in Florida does the spousal consent rule apply for naming a non spouse as the primary beneficiary?

Return to Top
#1975883 - 11/12/14 09:25 PM Re: Spousal Consent - non spouse beneficiaries of IRA Florida
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What State law is referenced in Article IX of your IRA custodial agreement.

Return to Top
#1975991 - 11/13/14 03:08 PM Re: Spousal Consent - non spouse beneficiaries of IRA rlcarey
Florida Offline
New Poster
Our IRA Simplifer does not have an Article IX; however, in Part 6 under the heading Spousal Consent it reads "Spousal Consent should be considered if either the trust or the residence of the IRA owner is located in a community or marital property state." Pennsylvania is not considered a community property state so I would think spousal consent is not required. Is this correct?

Return to Top
#1975998 - 11/13/14 03:19 PM Re: Spousal Consent - non spouse beneficiaries of IRA Florida
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is my understanding that neither PA or FL require spousal consent.

Return to Top