Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#21325 - 06/20/02 02:30 PM credit insurance
Denny Offline
Denny
Pa
We currently sell optional single premium credit insurance on our consumer Installment Loans. I'm somewhat familiar with Act 55 of 2001 with which we must begin complying with next week. Section 512 of the Act, requires us to ultimately offer credit insurance on a monthly premium basis in order to continue selling single premium insurance. My question is; does anyone know if we have to switch to a monthly premium or can we continue to sell single premium credit insurance as long as we have the monthly premium product available? I dont believe Act 55 prohibits us from selling both but I'm not sure about the State Insurance Laws.

Return to Top
#21326 - 06/26/02 06:47 PM Re: credit insurance
DebNP Offline
100 Club
DebNP
Eastern PA and NJ
You are correct Act 55 does prohibit Single Premium Credit Life, as a stand alone product. In PA, you can sell Single Premium Credit Life if you also offer the customer a choice between that product and monthly pay as you go. The problem is that all insurance products have to be approved initially by the Insurance Dept, so in order for your vendor to get approval for the Monthly Pay as you go product it is not as simple as you would think, basically because of the time required for approvals. Plus, then you have to worry about having the systems to handle both types; as well as training for your people. While offering both products you can mitigate some (but not all) of the "predatory lending" stigma attached to single premium credit life. You will also need to make sure that your sales techniques are in order, that's were some of the lenders have gotten into trouble in the past. Last summer several lenders cut their Single Premium programs because of the challenge of predatory lending.

Return to Top
#21327 - 07/03/02 04:28 PM Re: credit insurance
NancyF Offline
100 Club
NancyF
PA

I would be interested in locating Act 55 to review. Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Return to Top
#21328 - 07/08/02 12:28 PM Re: credit insurance
Denny Offline
Denny
Pa
Nancy: Send me your fax number and I'll fax you a copy of the Act.

Return to Top
#21329 - 08/08/02 02:48 PM Re: credit insurance
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Denny - Is there a url address for Act 55? I can only locate the edited version of the Senate bill on google.

Return to Top
#21330 - 08/08/02 08:54 PM Re: credit insurance
Elaine K. Sheehan Offline
100 Club
Elaine  K. Sheehan
Grand Rapids, MI
Here is my favorite site for state law and regs http://www.prairienet.org/~scruffy/f.htm when you get to the web site scroll down to PA click on legislation then enter S 377, then click on current pn 1240.

Return to Top
#21331 - 08/09/02 12:53 PM Re: credit insurance
DebNP Offline
100 Club
DebNP
Eastern PA and NJ
I believe you can also get to Act 55 via the PA Dept. of Banking website at www.banking.state.pa.us

Return to Top