Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2063364 - 02/09/16 08:44 PM Gift Funds
Minion Offline
Minion
Virginia
If a borrower received gift funds for $10,000 but only uses $5,000 towards closing what needs to be reflected on the Loan Estimate under Adjustments and Other Credits? I would say only the $5000.

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2063379 - 02/09/16 09:13 PM Re: Gift Funds Minion
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This sounds like the borrower has already received the gift funds. If that is true you would not disclose them on the LE or the CD.

If the gift funds are being provided at the closing then you disclose the amount that will be paid at that time.

Return to Top
#2063457 - 02/10/16 02:39 PM Re: Gift Funds Minion
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
So, if the gift funds are going to be transferred prior to closing, they are not to be disclosed on the LE? I am going to be discussing this topic with the lenders tomorrow and want to make certain I understand when it is to be included on the LE and when it is not. I did not see anything that specific and would love guidance.

Thanks

Return to Top
#2063478 - 02/10/16 03:45 PM Re: Gift Funds Minion
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
If you are aware of the gifts, and they have not been received at the time you issue the LE, you include them in the LE Calculation of Cash to Close, included as a negative number in the Adjustments and Other Credits amount. If you are not dealing with a purchase (no seller), you may want to use the regular Calculating Cash to Close table so that the Adjustments and Other Credits line is available. Note that you'll have to use the regular version of the Cash at Closing tab on page 1, and that you will have to use the regular versions of those tables in the Closing Disclosure as well.

If the gifts are received by the borrower prior to closing, they won't factor into the closing disclosure.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2064046 - 02/12/16 02:31 PM Re: Gift Funds Minion
Luv2run Offline
Platinum Poster
Thank you for your explanation John. I did not realize that if the gift funds have been transferred as of the time of the LE, then they do not need to go on the LE. I will have to inform the sales people of this.

Return to Top