Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2151588 - 10/28/17 04:23 PM Refinance loan estimate - but missing loan amount
Caroline Compliance Offline
100 Club
Is it possible to do a prequalification for a refinance and NOT be required to provide the initial Loan Estimate?

For example, borrower wants to refinance their 1st mortgage AND take out additional funds for home improvements. But they do not yet know exactly how much they will need. They are still getting estimates.

Thus, we do not know the loan amount.

Therefore, we don't have the required six pieces of information that trigger providing a Loan Estimate.

Thoughts? Anyone agree or disagree????

Thank you.

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2151601 - 10/30/17 12:32 PM Re: Refinance loan estimate - but missing loan amount Caroline Compliance
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
For a refinance, regardless of any potential cash out, the loan amount will be at least the payoff of the existing loan.

Also, if they are still getting estimates then they have some ball park idea of how much money they need. The application piece in the regulation doesn't require the loan amount applied for to be exact.

Return to Top
#2151610 - 10/30/17 01:31 PM Re: Refinance loan estimate - but missing loan amount Caroline Compliance
Caroline Compliance Offline
100 Club
I would think a compliance examiner would also make that same argument. A change to the loan amount can always be requested and documented, etc. Thanks Dan

Return to Top
#2151656 - 10/30/17 05:49 PM Re: Refinance loan estimate - but missing loan amount Caroline Compliance
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Agreed.. I wouldn't want to fight that battle (over estimated loan amount).

Return to Top