Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2192353 - 09/12/18 07:45 PM Gifts of Equity and 1031 Exchanges
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Are gifts of equity and 1031 exchanges both disclosed in the same manner as gift funds - disclosing in the Summaries of Transaction > L. > Other Credits?

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2192393 - 09/12/18 10:40 PM Re: Gifts of Equity and 1031 Exchanges Likes to Comply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Well considering a 1031 exchange cannot be involved in a consumer purpose transaction - it is a little hard to say without knowing all the facts and circumstances.

A gift of equity would be an adjustment and not a gift.

Return to Top
#2192467 - 09/13/18 05:30 PM Re: Gifts of Equity and 1031 Exchanges Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
Thanks for the help.

Regarding 1031 exchanges - the secondary market investor we sell to requires that purchases of 1-4 family dwellings used for overnight vacation rental or month to month rental/lease be disclosed as a consumer transaction. For that reason, sometimes we do have 1031 exchanges. The investor prepares the CD for us. They have been disclosing the 1031 Exchange under L. > Other Credits > line 06. Do you agree that this would be the appropriate place to disclose this in this situation?

Return to Top
#2192482 - 09/13/18 05:58 PM Re: Gifts of Equity and 1031 Exchanges Likes to Comply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Whether I agree or not - why would you care if the investor is both doing it and buying the loan???

I do agree however smile

Paragraph 38(j)(2)(vi).

1. Credits from any party other than the seller or creditor. Section 1026.38(j)(2)(vi) requires disclosure of a description and the amount of items paid by or on behalf of the consumer and not disclosed elsewhere under § 1026.38(j)(2). For example, credits a consumer receives from a real estate agent or other third party, other than a seller or creditor, are disclosed pursuant to § 1026.38(j)(2)(vi). However, if the credit is attributable to a specific closing cost listed in the Closing Cost Details tables under § 1026.38(f) or (g), that amount should be reflected in the paid by others column on the Closing Cost Details tables and not in the disclosure required under § 1026.38(j)(2)(vi). Similarly, if a real estate agent rebates a portion of the agent’s commission to the consumer, the rebate should be listed as a credit along with a description of the rebate, which must include the name of the party giving the credit.

Return to Top
#2192494 - 09/13/18 06:34 PM Re: Gifts of Equity and 1031 Exchanges Likes to Comply
Likes to Comply Offline
Diamond Poster
In the mountains
The loans close in our name, so I thought we were responsible for the accuracy of the CD even if we didn't prepare it? Is that not correct?

I just reviewed a CD where they disclosed a principal reduction as a fee to the borrower in section H Other on page 2 instead of under Adjustments in section K on page 3? Will we not be held responsible with our regulator for these types of errors even if we didn't complete the CD?

Return to Top
#2192541 - 09/13/18 10:48 PM Re: Gifts of Equity and 1031 Exchanges Likes to Comply
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Are you responsible, I suppose you are, but what is the liability for technical disclosure errors on a CD? In my experience, I have not seen examiners do much testing on loans that a lender sells. But I could be wrong. If they are preparing the disclosures for you, I surely hope your purchase agreement doesn't include put back rights for errors that they create.

Return to Top