Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2266968 - 02/28/22 04:18 PM One Time Close Construction - Appraisal Increase
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Hi, we have a one-time close construction to permanent product. Sometimes the appraiser will let us know the appraisal fee increased beyond what we disclosed on the CD at loan closing. Our construction agreement states we can pass along the increased appraisal fee to the borrower, however, this seems to violate TRID's requirement that the CD contain final fees and costs associated with the transaction.

I believe we can pass along new fees, like an appraisal recertification if needed due to borrower and/or construction delays, but I do not believe we can increase the costs of fees disclosed at closing.

Thoughts, please? Thank you.

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2266976 - 02/28/22 04:55 PM Re: One Time Close Construction - Appraisal Increase ComplyCycle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Any such fees charged by the appraiser for services conducted post-closing are finance charges. Whether or not your original final CD was issued in good faith is the issue.

Return to Top
#2266979 - 02/28/22 05:21 PM Re: One Time Close Construction - Appraisal Increase ComplyCycle
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Thanks for the response. If the original final CD was issued in good faith and the appraiser increased fees after closing, could we pass along the increased charges then? Would we need to issue a revised CD?

Return to Top
#2266982 - 02/28/22 05:44 PM Re: One Time Close Construction - Appraisal Increase ComplyCycle
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think that becomes a contractual issue. Just make sure that those fees for post-closing appraisal services are broken out on your final CD and treated as finance charges.

Return to Top
#2266984 - 02/28/22 05:52 PM Re: One Time Close Construction - Appraisal Increase ComplyCycle
ComplyCycle Offline
Gold Star
ComplyCycle
Got it. Thank you!

Return to Top