Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2146830 - 09/20/17 03:46 PM Correcting CD after consummation
April Parker Offline
New Poster
Hello everyone,

We occasionally run into the issue of reissuing a CD after consummation due to recording charges. How we normally handle is that we will update the CD to disclose the actual charge incurred. A credit will usually be given to the loan balance in the case that the closing costs were added to the loan amount requested.

When updating the CD, the total loan amount and monthly payment is automatically updated within our LOS. Usually at the time that the CD is reissued, the loan has already been booked and is set up disclosing the loan amount and monthly payment that was disclosed at the time of closing, matching the Note.

Our internal audit department is questioning whether the system should be updated for the corrections, thus giving the borrower a lower monthly payment.

Should this be done? If so, is it an issue that the CD and Note do not match. We generally only send out a revised CD, not a Note.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the matter?

Thank you.

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2146833 - 09/20/17 03:49 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The note is the legal obligation, the CD is a disclosure. The CD has to reflect the legal obligation - you should not be changing the loan amount or the required payments on the revised CD.

Return to Top
#2146861 - 09/20/17 05:06 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
These things are better handled by direct charging the borrower a fee, imho, rather than capitalizing such things to the loan amount.

Return to Top
#2146865 - 09/20/17 05:17 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I think they are talking the other way around. They need to reflect a principal reduction - not adjust the loan amount.

Return to Top
#2146873 - 09/20/17 05:27 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club

Return to Top
#2146875 - 09/20/17 05:34 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
April Parker Offline
New Poster
I did read that original post, but because in our case the fees are financed, they really shouldn't be getting a check back. It should be a principal reduction.

I'll get with our LOS company to try to figure out a way to disclose properly.

Thank you,

Return to Top
#2147041 - 09/21/17 04:32 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation rlcarey
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Yes, sorry, even then I think it is better for the borrower to get a check. It was the borrower's right initially to do what they want with the money. The cure should give them that same right. If they want to apply to principal, then great, but it is their money.

Return to Top
#2147141 - 09/21/17 08:34 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
"because in our case the fees are financed, they really shouldn't be getting a check back. It should be a principal reduction"

Why?

Return to Top
#2154265 - 11/20/17 06:17 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
Vive Accommodare Offline
Platinum Poster
Vive Accommodare
Compliance
What would be the benefit of doing a principal reduction compared to cutting a check to the borrower to cure the amount? We have an investor telling us since the VA Funding Fee was financed, we cannot do a credit, that we must do a principal reduction.

Return to Top
#2154339 - 11/20/17 11:08 PM Re: Correcting CD after consummation April Parker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Because some secondary market programs prohibit cash back to the customer.

Return to Top