Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2277314 - 10/28/22 05:31 PM Temporary Financing?
MainStreeter Offline
I realize there are similar threads on temporary financing, home improvement, etc. but many of them cover property being razed, etc. I'm hoping for some direction/confirmation...

We have a handful of dwelling secured loans that we end up doing a construction loan for as the improvements are substantial. There IS intended to be an end loan replacing the construction loan. I understand that we can only 'construct' a dwelling once, but does this still qualify under the temporary financing exemption as it is designed to be replaced? or home improvement?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2277320 - 10/28/22 06:10 PM Re: Temporary Financing? MainStreeter
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Any loan that meets the below definition would qualify for the temporary financing exemption.

Official Interpretation
Paragraph 3(c)(3)
1. Temporary financing. Section 1003.3(c)(3) provides that closed-end mortgage loans or open-end lines of credit obtained for temporary financing are excluded transactions. A loan or line of credit is considered temporary financing and excluded under § 1003.3(c)(3) if the loan or line of credit is designed to be replaced by separate permanent financing extended by any financial institution to the same borrower at a later time. For example:

Return to Top
#2277322 - 10/28/22 06:36 PM Re: Temporary Financing? MainStreeter
MainStreeter Offline
Thanks so much Dan. Appreciate that extra validation, sometimes I think we can muddy our own waters

In the event that we have one of these and it doesn't end up getting replaced by the intended permanent financing and is instead refinanced by another one of these temporary loans, should the initial loan then be reported? or is it still exempt because it was 'designed' to be replaced?
seems like a messy description after I re-read: 'temp' Loan A was replaced by temp Loan B as costs were significantly higher; so Loan A not replaced by Perm. Financing...

Return to Top
#2277323 - 10/28/22 06:58 PM Re: Temporary Financing? MainStreeter
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
A temporary loan refinanced by another temporary loan does not lose its exemption.

However a continuous loop of refinancing a temporary loan with another temporary loan could raise the the examiner's suspicion you are doing so to circumvent the HMDA reporting requirements.

Return to Top
#2277324 - 10/28/22 07:25 PM Re: Temporary Financing? MainStreeter
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And Section 35 and 43, etc.

Return to Top
#2277325 - 10/28/22 07:31 PM Re: Temporary Financing? MainStreeter
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
And Section 35 and 43, etc.

Return to Top
#2277327 - 10/28/22 07:52 PM Re: Temporary Financing? MainStreeter
MainStreeter Offline
Thanks for the insights- this replacement scenario has only occurred in the one scenario so I don't think think we've got an intentional circumvention issue. Will certainly look out for that though.

Return to Top