BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#197902 - 06/08/04 01:25 PM 18/65 Overdraft protecton
ahb Offline
100 Club
ahb
WestMass
My bank is in the process of implementing a permissive overdraft protection plan. I have given an opinion that this plan is not allowable for our 18/65 accounts but have been asked to check this out again. Our marketing person says that in reality the checks are first "refused" by us for paynment and then a decision is made to pay them against a negative balance in the account. As a result she feels it is ok to charge the $5 fee allowed to be charged for NSF checks on a 18/65 account. Any thoughts would be greatfully appreciated.

Return to Top
#197903 - 06/10/04 07:13 PM Re: 18/65 Overdraft protecton
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
With all due respect to your marketing person, I think you're asking for trouble here. If you "refuse" payment, you bounce a check. You don't "refuse" payment on something you're paying against an overdraft line, formal or informal. As much as I abhor the language of the statute, our legislature hasn't seen fit to change it. I don't think you can charge a qualifying account for the privilege of going overdrawn. Period.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#197904 - 06/11/04 12:24 PM Re: 18/65 Overdraft protecton
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks John! I thought for a while that I was the only one who was concerned over this.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett