Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1668070 - 02/22/12 01:01 AM Authority on Business Accounts
Jo Offline
Am I correct in believing that any officer,( President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Director) listed on a business filing with the MA SOC has the authority to act on behalf of that business, i.e. can open accounts, if on accounts with other officers may act alone on any transactions?

Return to Top
#1668071 - 02/22/12 01:12 AM Re: Authority on Business Accounts Jo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't think so. A corporate officer doesn't automatically have account access. The corporate board still has to decide which officers or others shall have authority to act on behalf of the corporation. You need to get a certified copy of a board resolution designating who may open and maintain accounts for the corporation.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1668073 - 02/22/12 01:25 AM Re: Authority on Business Accounts John Burnett
Jo Offline
If they open the account listing the President, Vice President and Treasurer with each of their signatures, then do they all have equal power relating to the account?

Return to Top
#1668084 - 02/22/12 11:42 AM Re: Authority on Business Accounts Jo
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
As John indicated, this will (or should be) be spelled out in the corporation resolution.

Return to Top
#1668092 - 02/22/12 12:40 PM Re: Authority on Business Accounts Jo
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Review the resolution carefully. It should spell out any differences in access authority. If there's nothing in the resolution concerning different levels of access or any difference in authority approved for the three individuals, you can safely assume that their authorities are equal.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett