Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2142435 - 08/17/17 05:28 PM Overpayment of Retirement Benefits
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Husband, wife and son have a checking account. Husband was a retired state employee and passes away. After he passes away his wife continues to receive monthly survivorship retirement benefits. The wife passed away and we have received a letter from the state requesting a return of the overpayment of month's benefits. Currently the account does not have enough to cover and the balance of the account is commingled with whatever deposits the son has made.

After contacting the representative listed on the form we were advised that it was OK to provide the balance on the account and they also requested the name and contact information of the son.

I can't find anything that requires us to abide by this so I'm curious to know if other banks have experience with this and how they addressed.

Return to Top
#2142473 - 08/17/17 07:45 PM Re: Overpayment of Retirement Benefits lucyc
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Your bank is on notice that the son has received monies from the state to which he is not entitled and the state has demanded their return.

If you think there is a colorable reason why you should not satisfy that demand, you need to run it past your bank's legal counsel. As far as providing the son's contact information, that's not really your right unless they can point you to a Florida law or regulation that says it is.

Return to Top
#2142500 - 08/17/17 08:50 PM Re: Overpayment of Retirement Benefits lucyc
lucyc Offline
Diamond Poster
lucyc
Thank you.

Return to Top