Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1425277 - 08/06/10 03:09 PM lots of questions-Minor Checking Accts in FLORIDA
GreenOne Offline
New Poster
I have searched around BOL and FL Statutes in regards to minors on checking accounts. I've started with the state law...but it's clear as mud. The only thing I could find is:

655.77 Deposits by minors.--Deposits made by a minor, or made in the minor's name by other than a court-appointed guardian, may be withdrawn by the minor in the absence of an agreement to the contrary made between the institution and the depositor at the time the account is opened. In case of any such agreement, such moneys, until the minor's disabilities are removed, may be withdrawn by the person or persons designated in such agreement.

What does this mean in regards to age restriction? What type of account is this authorizing joint or single? Since we are not required to open minor checking accounts do we just apply Golliher's Law and add bank restricitions? Is this applicable to adding a minor to a business account as a signer as well? Does anyone issue visa check cards to minors? Is there a sample indemnification agreement out there? Thank you for your patience with a GreenOne! I appreciate any help!!

Return to Top
#1425347 - 08/06/10 04:03 PM Re: lots of questions-Minor Checking Accts in FLORIDA GreenOne
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
If a minor is to have access to a bank account, we have made a business decision to only open a savings account for anyone under the age of 18. (And we only issue debit cards on checking accounts so they would not have one of these either.) If the case of a FLUTMA, we would open a checking or savings account if requested because there is no direct access by the minor, only the custodian. Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#1425457 - 08/06/10 06:03 PM Re: lots of questions-Minor Checking Accts in FLORIDA SunnyFL, CRCM
GreenOne Offline
New Poster
Thank you!! Does Florida state law state whether a minor can legally enter into a contract for a bank account?.... Or is it silent (because I can't find anything about it) . Thanks!

Return to Top
#1425610 - 08/06/10 08:08 PM Re: lots of questions-Minor Checking Accts in FLORIDA GreenOne
SunnyFL, CRCM Offline
100 Club
FL
I am not sure what the state law says about minors and bank accounts but I do know Florida allows a minor to open a safe deposit box - but we wouldn't do that either.

Return to Top
#1425714 - 08/06/10 09:16 PM Re: lots of questions-Minor Checking Accts in FLORIDA SunnyFL, CRCM
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You already have the Statute:

655.77 Deposits by minors. --Deposits made by a minor, or made in the minor's name by other than a court-appointed guardian, may be withdrawn by the minor in the absence of an agreement to the contrary made between the institution and the depositor at the time the account is opened. In case of any such agreement, such moneys, until the minor's disabilities are removed, may be withdrawn by the person or persons designated in such agreement.

This says you can.

Return to Top
#1430002 - 08/17/10 02:53 PM Re: lots of questions-Minor Checking Accts in FLORIDA rlcarey
GreenOne Offline
New Poster
Thank you!!

Return to Top