Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#310908 - 02/01/05 12:09 AM endorsement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had a customer who deposiited a check ($3,000.00)in thier account. After a few days we realized the customer didnt endorse the check. The check was from a loan company requiring a signature to accept terms of the loan - Who is responsible for covering this? The customer claims she never received or cashed the check - I told her we have a deposit slip in the amount of the check. she said she didnt endorse the check and will not pay it - HELP PLEASE!!Any advice?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#310909 - 02/01/05 12:21 AM Re: endorsement
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
She spent the money and now doesn't want to replace it when the loan company says the check is no good? Is that the situation?

Where did she think the $3,000 came from?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#310910 - 02/01/05 12:37 AM Re: endorsement
Anonymous
Unregistered

exaclty!!! My superiors are telling me that I should have made sure the endoresment was there. I think my job is on the line here.

Return to Top
#310911 - 02/01/05 12:58 AM Re: endorsement

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Are you the same person who posted in Ask a Banker, very similar situation re $3,000 loan check? If you did this for your "friend" your job could be on the line if now she is saying she doesn't have to come up with the money and you went around the rules for a friend. Good luck.

Return to Top
#310912 - 02/01/05 01:31 PM Re: endorsement
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I would think that the person who deposited the check would have to sign an affidavit stating that they never received the check or any benefit from the check. If they sign that statement and you have proof that the check was deposited to their account, you may have some leverage. The fact that this is a loan check makes it a little more sticky, good luck with this one.

Added after it was pointed out that the teller may have broken the rules for a "friend":

Of course if you as a bank employee skirted the rules for your friend and are getting caught, here is hoping that your resume is in order.
Last edited by thomasj; 02/01/05 02:23 PM.
Return to Top
#310913 - 02/01/05 07:16 PM Re: endorsement
blvsinangels Offline
Gold Star
If this check was deposited into the account in which the check was made out, ie; check made to jane doe, deposited to jane does account. Guess what, Jane Doe got benefit from the check. Is the money still in her account? If so take it back and pay your returned check. If it is not in her account then she used the money. You can prove that you deposited this check into her account. Either she signs the check or she owes the bank $3,000. Friendship aside, thats the bottom line. Does she want to sign the check and owe the lending company $3,000 (they should have loan documents on file with her signature, is she saying these are forged???) or does she want the bank to charge her account back for the money and owe the bank?

Return to Top
#310914 - 02/02/05 03:06 AM Re: endorsement
Anonymous
Unregistered

the check was the loan. the only signature they would have for the loan is if she endorsed the check. So she thinks that she isnt liable for the money.

Return to Top
#310915 - 02/02/05 03:25 AM Re: endorsement

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Unfortunately she is sadly mistaken and you are in the middle of it. I will hope that you didn't realize the seriousness of helping her with this scheme. You are correct. Your job is on the line.

Good luck! All you can do is learn from this mistake and move on. Your friend moved on and left you with a mess.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z