Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#11983 - 03/28/01 11:02 PM Response to customer/employee ID thefts
mike weaver Offline
New Poster
Memphis, TN, USA
I would like to know what other banking security personnel are doing for their customers and employees who are ID theft victims. We are considering establishing an ID Theft Response Procedure that will include sending a hold harmless letter to any merchant who accepted a forged maker check, establishing an account with ChexSystems and registering the affected account and creating a brochure to include all the necessary consumer credit fraud hotline numbers. Have I left out anything?

Mike Weaver
Criminal Investigations Manager
Union Planters Bank

------------------

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#11984 - 03/29/01 12:23 PM Re: Response to customer/employee ID thefts
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Mike:

This is a great way to handle this type of situation -- provided that you require the victim to file an identity theft report with his/her local law enforcement agency before you initiate your process. The victim should provide a copy of this report to you for your files regarding any crime (e.g., forgery) or related event (e.g., lost wallet) before you begin processing a claim.

------------------
Dana Turner
Security Education Systems
danaturner@bankersonline.com
830-535-6500

Return to Top
#11985 - 03/29/01 01:52 PM Re: Response to customer/employee ID thefts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mike:

The American Bankers Association (www.aba.com) has a kit entitled ABA Communications kit IDENTITY THEFT PREVENTION & RESOLUTION. This kit has same letters, customer account record sheet which notes the FTC telephone number and the three most used credit bureaus and their telephone numbers. And it has a cd rom for radio spots. Their brochure TEN TIPS TO PREVENT IDENTITY THERFT is very good too.

Return to Top
#11986 - 03/29/01 03:28 PM Re: Response to customer/employee ID thefts
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
In one of the upcoming ABA Compliance Magazine issues there will be some additional information on ID theft and what other banks are doing. Stay tuned.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z