Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1684307 - 03/30/12 05:56 PM Dormant account fee on deposit account
Beckster Offline
Minnesota
Does MN have a statute addressing a dormant fee on a savings or checking account? What we are wondering is there a maximum amount that can be charged and/or a maximum amount of time the fee can be charged?

Return to Top
#1684408 - 03/30/12 07:32 PM Re: Dormant account fee on deposit account Beckster
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Appears to be like Texas were you can't even assess a monthly service charge after one year of inactivity.

345.32 PROPERTY HELD BY BANKING OR FINANCIAL ORGANIZATIONS OR BY BUSINESS ASSOCIATIONS.

The following property held or owing by a banking or financial organization or by a business association is presumed abandoned:

(a) Any demand, savings or matured time deposit made in this state with a banking organization, together with any interest or dividend thereon, excluding contracted service charges which may be deducted for a period not to exceed one year, unless the owner has, within three years:

Return to Top
#1685388 - 04/03/12 09:13 PM Re: Dormant account fee on deposit account Beckster
ProfitDefender Offline
100 Club
ProfitDefender
Midwest
Happened upon this post and was just looking this up today. 345.32 doesn't say you can't charge, that language is addressing unclaimed/abandoned. My take in the most basic sense is if statements aren't getting returned, and we have no reason to believe it's abandoned or unclaimed we can service charge until it's closed. Emphasis added...

345.32 PROPERTY HELD BY BANKING OR FINANCIAL ORGANIZATIONS OR BY BUSINESS ASSOCIATIONS.
The following property held or owing by a banking or financial organization or by a business association is presumed abandoned:

(a) Any demand, savings or matured time deposit made in this state with a banking organization, together with any interest or dividend thereon, excluding contracted service charges which may be deducted for a period not to exceed one year, unless the owner has, within three years:

(1) increased or decreased the amount of the deposit, or presented the passbook or other similar evidence of the deposit for the crediting of interest; or

(2) corresponded in writing with the banking organization concerning the deposit; or

(3) otherwise indicated an interest in the deposit as evidenced by a memorandum on file with the banking organization; or

(4) received tax reports or regular statements of the deposit by mail from the banking or financial organization regarding the deposit. Receipt of the statement by the owner should be presumed if the statement is mailed first class by the banking or financial organization and not returned; or

(5) acted as provided in paragraphs (1), (2), (3) and (4) of this subsection in regard to another demand, savings or time deposit made with the banking or financial organization.

Return to Top
#1685885 - 04/04/12 09:50 PM Re: Dormant account fee on deposit account Beckster
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I would concur, you have to look at all the definitions in the law.

Return to Top