Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#128386 - 11/04/03 07:59 PM Electronic Check Conversion
Ginlyn, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Ginlyn, CRCM
Oklahoma
Thanks, John. We spoke with a NACHA representative who was no help at all and didn't even hint that there was a rule regarding no electronic check conversions except for personal checks. I appreciate the information

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#128387 - 11/05/03 03:10 PM Re: Electronic Check Conversion
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I urge you to obtain a copy of the NACHA rules. Here's the applicable section (the Originator is the Merchant or Lockbox operator; the Receiver is the drawer of the check):

Quote:

SUBSECTION 2.9.1 Source Documents

For an ARC entry, a check or sharedraft provided to the Originator by the Receiver via the U.S. mail or at a dropbox location must be used by the Originator as the source document for the Receiver's routing number, account number, check serial number, and dollar amount. To be used as the source document for an ARC entry, a check or sharedraft must (1) contain a pre-printed serial number, (2) be drawn on a Consumer Account, and (3) be completed and signed by the Receiver.

The following may not be used as the source document for ARC entries: (1) checks drawn on corporate or business accounts, (2) third-party checks, (3) demand drafts and third-party drafts that do not contain the signature of the Receiver, (4) credit card checks, (5) obligations of a financial institution (e.g., travelers checks, cashier's checks, official checks, money orders, etc.), (6) checks drawn on the Treasury of the United States, a Federal Reserve Bank, or a Federal Home Loan Bank, (7) checks drawn on a state or local government, or (8) checks payable in a medium other than United States currency.

Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#128388 - 11/05/03 09:26 PM Re: Electronic Check Conversion
Ginlyn, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Ginlyn, CRCM
Oklahoma
Thanks again, John. I have distributed your information to the appropriate individuals. I've even had several volunteers to heed your earlier advice to "pitch a bitch" at the ACH operator.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z