Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1682301 - 03/26/12 08:13 PM Zero Liability Banks
Purex Offline
100 Club
South
Hello all
I need help in understanding a portion of Regulation E, I know there are tiers of liability for the consumer, but if my bank is a Visa Zero Liability bank can the $50 or $500 come into play, or is that all out the window since we are zero liability?
Can we change from a zero liability bank,or am I understanding this all wrong?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1682346 - 03/26/12 09:04 PM Re: Zero Liability Banks Purex
BrianC Online
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
As long as you are issuing VISA cards, you will be subject to providing Zero Liability. The only way to "change" from providing Zero Liability is to stop offering VISA Debit Cards. (MasterCard offers Zero Liability as well.)

VISA's Zero Liability covers all signature based purchases and any PIN based purchases processed on the VISA network. It does not cover other PIN purchases or ATM withdrawals. VISA does provide some "outs" when Zero Liability may not be required such as if the cardholder is grossly negligent or if the cardholder takes too long to report the fraud. The specifics should be outlined in your account agreement. You can review VISA's Zero Liability policy here.

I also want to invite you to my upcoming webinar on April 25th The Maze of Debit Card Compliance. I will be examining questions about Zero Liability and other regulatory issues surrounding your debit card program.

Return to Top
#1682350 - 03/26/12 09:09 PM Re: Zero Liability Banks Purex
Purex Offline
100 Club
South
Brian
Thank you so much for answering my questions. I most definately will look into attending The Maze of Debit Card Compliance.
Have a great evening.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z