Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1730045 - 08/13/12 01:36 PM Bill Pay Fraud
Mconnor Offline
Fitchburg, MA
Our Internet Banking bill pay vendor recently discovered an incident where a customer's bill pay service was accessed fraudulently. The bill pay vendor stopped the transaction based on the larger than normal requested amount and notified us. Our customer has no idea how someone could have accessed their Internet Banking or bill pay as they have never shared their login details. We shut down Internet Banking on the customer's accounts and closed the bill pay access checking account. We spoke to our customer on topics such as antivirus programs, and general PC security.

The customer wants us to restore their Internet Banking access and bill pay service by opening a new account. We are thinking the customer is a high risk and mulling this over. Do any of you have any procedures you could share?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#1730181 - 08/13/12 04:34 PM Re: Bill Pay Fraud Mconnor
tdogz Offline
100 Club
tdogz
In addition to our normal online banking security, our bill pay system requires the customer to answer one of their security questions if they send $1,000+ in a day. It's not fool-proof, but it is an extra security layer that could discourage, or at least limit, some fraud. I wouldn't mind seeing the amount lower, but it is a balance between security and customer convenience.

Return to Top
#1732638 - 08/20/12 12:46 PM Re: Bill Pay Fraud Mconnor
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Bill pay is a service you provide It is not a "right" each customer has. Did the customer understand what was being said about PC security? I'd sure watch the account if you see risk or would refuse access until the bank is satisfied precautions are in place and the PC is cleaan.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1733548 - 08/22/12 12:32 PM Re: Bill Pay Fraud Mconnor
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
We would require the customer to provide us with proof that his/her PC has been examined and cleaned by a reputable vendor before we would allow another account with online banking or bill pay.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z