Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2112786 - 12/30/16 10:03 PM Provisional Credit on Non-Fraud Dispute
dac1 Offline
We have a customer with a questionable charge on a non-fraud situation. He was charged a very large amount at a hotel for damage to a mattress. We might have grounds to decline, but there is a chance that we could get a chargeback. Can we accept the dispute as a courtesy, but not provide provisional credit?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2112816 - 01/03/17 01:38 PM Re: Provisional Credit on Non-Fraud Dispute dac1
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Short answer = yes, you can.

Return to Top
#2112823 - 01/03/17 02:44 PM Re: Provisional Credit on Non-Fraud Dispute burkemi
dac1 Offline
Thanks for the short answer! That is very helpful. Is there a little bit longer answer that can back that up with REG E requirements?

Return to Top
#2112840 - 01/03/17 04:12 PM Re: Provisional Credit on Non-Fraud Dispute dac1
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
Here are my thoughts...

Assuming the charge was authorized (probably via agreement between the customer and the hotel as part of the room rental contract), then this does not fall under section 1005.11 of Regulation E (therefore provisional credit not required per Reg E), and is merely a merchant dispute which would follow the Visa/MasterCard (as applicable) chargeback process.

Return to Top
#2113443 - 01/06/17 11:02 PM Re: Provisional Credit on Non-Fraud Dispute dac1
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As noted, it doesn't sound like Reg E because damages will be allowed for in the room rental agreement. So Reg E is off the table. If you handle it as a Reg E claim, I would say no, follow the Reg and that means provisional credit when required. But again, I'd say Reg E will not apply.

V/MC rules will allow and encourage you to assist the customer in chargebacks and disputes with merchants where Reg E will not.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z