Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#70706 - 03/28/03 11:13 PM New Email Retention Requirment?????
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
Our IT department is hearing chatter out there about some new requirement to keep a 2 year history of every email and log the name/address of sender, recipient, subject line and SAVE attachments. I stated I have not heard of any new regulations requiring this and suspect it may be the latest cyber legend.
Anyone hear anything about this?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#70707 - 03/28/03 11:17 PM Re: New Email Retention Requirment?????
Jay Offline
I discussed this with our examiners (OCC) and they said it was not a requirement. However I have since talked to some legal staff about it and they told me that if you have a means to retain the email the examiners have a right to ask for it.

Return to Top
#70708 - 03/29/03 03:40 AM Re: New Email Retention Requirement?????
Andy_Z Online
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
While e-mail should be held the same as snail mail, these sound like unreal restrictions and record keeping if a separate log is required. SEC rules are more restrictive, but they have reasons that would be separate from traditional banking.

I haven't heard any rumblings on this and hope I don't. Having to train everyone who receives e-mail on what has to be retained and how would be difficult if the rules were that broad.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z