Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2254467 - 05/26/21 09:55 PM ESIGN hardware and software requirements
BSAguy Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
If I've overlooked another post with this question I apologize. We are looking at revising our ESIGN consent disclosure. For the requirement of hardware and software requirements, we provide a link to a page on a website that lists the requirements. Does providing a link satisfy the requirement to provide a statement?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2254471 - 05/27/21 12:19 PM Re: ESIGN hardware and software requirements BSAguy
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
ESIGN's rule is, indeed, to provide a statement of the (minimum) hardware and software requirements. The wording of ESIGN was meant to be loose and flexible, and "provide" is a lower standard than "deliver." ESIGN doesn't define "provide", so we must turn to Webster -- where we find the definition "to supply or make available." I'd be very comfortable arguing that a hyperlink is an excellent way to make information available. Even if the consumer proceeds without clicking the link, the required information was available.

My only caution is to capture and retain all the pages needed to reconstruct and defend your consent handshake. ESIGN doesn't require retention of anything, but if you find yourself in court or under criticism by regulators, you'll need to show how you complied with ESIGN's pre-consent disclosure requirements.

Return to Top
#2254490 - 05/27/21 02:46 PM Re: ESIGN hardware and software requirements BSAguy
BSAguy Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
Thank you Richard.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z