Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#197774 - 06/07/04 08:21 PM Compensation
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently found out that a co-worker is getting paid more than I am. I feel that he is either getting paid too much, or I am getting paid too little. I work in compliance and he does the paper work pertaining to loans that are paid; mailing the lien cards, cleaning out the files, etc. Employee compensation is definatly a hush-hush topic, but a c0-worker told me about this outside of the bank. I don't want to "tell" on my co-worker about what I heard, but I also can't just ignore it, any ideas?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#197775 - 06/07/04 08:40 PM Re: Compensation
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
What is it that you would "tell?" That an employee was discussing compensation or that you do not believe the compensation is fair?

If the issue is that compensation was discussed, either ignore it or bring it to the attention of HR. If you believe it is a compliance issue, bring it up with the compliance manager/officer/chief executive and let them deal with it.

If it was about the fairness of the compensation, since you said you can't ignore it, your options probably won't be attractive. Either 1) ignore it, 2) brush up your resume and move on, or 3)(the best advice) concentrate on the value of your OWN position and work to advance that. Sometimes compensation comes down to a person's background or their negotiation skills coming into the position.

Return to Top
#197776 - 06/09/04 06:11 PM Re: Compensation
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
I completely understand where you are coming from. I am in a similar situtation. This is the way I look at it...I worry about myself, how I am doing at my job, how my boss feels I am doing in my job (and his expectations and direction he has planned for me), how satisfied I am with my job, how satisfied I am with my salary, and what the future holds for me here where I am at. There are other factors you need to look at also. Are there budget limitations, how long has the other person been there, how long have you been there, is your position a new position (mine is)? Also, are you positive that the information you received from the co-worker accurate or is that person trying to stir the pot? And did you feel adequately compensated for your job before you knew what someone else made? These are a few things you should think about before you compare apples to oranges.

Return to Top
#197777 - 06/10/04 12:35 PM Re: Compensation
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you really feel that you in your position deserves equal compensation to the other person in his/her position, you need to find out whether they're making too much or you're making too little. If they're making too much, be happy for them. If you're making too little, take steps to correct it, i.e. research what other companies are paying people like you, ask that you be sufficiently compensated, and if they refuse, update that resume and call every person you know in the banking business to try and get it in front of the right person.

Return to Top
#197778 - 06/10/04 01:22 PM Re: Compensation
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Anon, you are trying to develop a plan of action based on the assumption that what you were told is true. Factor in the possibility that it may not be.

One of our employees left her pay stub laying on her desk (common work area) when she went to lunch one day. Based on the information it reflected, she was the highest paid person in the department and we had a near rebellion by the middle of the afternoon.

Actually, her pay for that period included some other monies - the gross amount was very misleading. She thoroughly enjoyed all the commotion and no one could ever convince me she did not do it on purpose. If I want to start a fuss in a bank I'll just tell someone how much someone else is paid...

Return to Top
#197779 - 06/10/04 06:47 PM Re: Compensation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Anon, you are trying to develop a plan of action based on the assumption that what you were told is true. Factor in the possibility that it may not be.

Agreed. But taking for granted the assumption that the information was accurate and correct, I stand by my previous advice. Don't gripe over another's good fortune, but if you are being undercompensated, take the necessary steps to rectify the situation.

Return to Top
#197780 - 06/11/04 03:49 PM Re: Compensation
Anonymous
Unregistered

Many things affect compensation...previous experience, tenure with company, accomplishments, difficulty of position, responsibilities, etc, etc, etc. Analyze your pay not against one individual but rather against what several others in your position make with your experience around your area. If there is a significant discrepancy than show this to HR and discuss. What you heard may or may not be true, fair or not, focus on exceling at your position and hopefully your compensation will increase.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry