Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#204647 - 06/25/04 05:19 PM criminal background checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are there any laws that require us to do criminal background checks on all employees?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#204648 - 06/25/04 05:40 PM Re: criminal background checks
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
There is no law that I'm aware of that requires this. I'm sure a number of institutions do it. It's just not a requirement.

Return to Top
#204649 - 06/25/04 06:18 PM Re: criminal background checks
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Quote:

There is no law that I'm aware of that requires this. I'm sure a number of institutions do it. It's just not a requirement.

I suppose that is technically correct. There is no law that says you have to conduct criminal background checks. But you probably should read the following FDIC FIL on the prohibition against hiring people with criminal convictions involving dishonesty or breach of trust.
Section 19

It applies to all FDIC insured institutions. You also should check with your bonding company. They may have something to say also. The penalties for violation of FDIC's Section 19 are pretty steep. Do you want to take the chance?

Return to Top
#204650 - 06/25/04 06:44 PM Re: criminal background checks
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
We are asked as part of our Information Security Program audit what our procedures are when hiring new employees. It is a risk under the information security program and is mitigated by checking references.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#204651 - 06/25/04 07:14 PM Re: criminal background checks
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The information security standards, Part III (C)(1) require that your bank consider performing background checks. There is no specific requirement that you do it. Depending on the size of your institution and the extent to which all new hires are known to you, not doing a background check may be defensible. At some level of size and sophistication, it will not be.
Last edited by Ken/Pegasus; 06/25/04 07:31 PM.
Return to Top
#204652 - 07/02/04 08:16 PM Re: criminal background checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is not required, however it is a good practice that adds minimal time and costs. At least, review the list of those prohibited from the banking industry.

Return to Top
#204653 - 07/10/04 04:52 AM Re: criminal background checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Retread,

Is a conviction for misdemeanor bookmaking considered a breach of trust or dishonesty? Also, if the conviction was expunged in the state of California, doesn't this mean that the FDIC cannot use the conviction against the person since it was dismissed and vacated? In closing, if needed; how would somebody go about getting a petition for Section 19? I look forward to your reply.

Return to Top
#204654 - 07/12/04 02:02 PM Re: criminal background checks
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
Instead of goint into a lengthy response, I just suggest you read FDIC's Statement of Policy found at

Section 19 Statement of Policy

Section B (1) answers your question on expungement. If you want to file an application for waiver, you have to contact your nearest FDIC Regional Office.

Return to Top
#204655 - 07/14/04 04:17 PM Re: criminal background checks
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the employee is going to handle securities of any kind, i.e. a trust department employee, then it is my understanding that background checks are required by the SEC.

Return to Top
#204656 - 07/15/04 12:53 PM Re: criminal background checks
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Why would you NOT do a criminal background check? You are leaving yourself open to a negligent hiring lawsuit if you hire a sexual predator or similar behaviorally challenged person and if you hire someone convicted of a crime involving dishonesty or breach of trust, the Feds will be all over you. Banking is all about trust. It is also a best practice to do drug screening.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry