Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1517669 - 03/04/11 04:39 PM Wellness Program and Discrimination
NeBanker Offline
Gold Star
We have begun talks of starting a wellness program, however we want to keep a leash on it so we don’t get ourselves into a discrimination suit. What areas should we really watch for to make sure this does not happen?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1517873 - 03/04/11 07:26 PM Re: Wellness Program and Discrimination NeBanker
AFaquir Offline
Platinum Poster
AFaquir
Top of the world... and never ...
I'm not sure how the wellness program would lead to discrimination... unless you plan to blatantly discriminate...

I think to answer this question we would need to know more about what you term a "wellness" program... because it includes everything from things to help people quit smoking and losing weight to merely paying for a health membership...

Ultimately you shouldn't run into discrimination issues unless they aren't offered for everybody or you somehow tie them to earnings in any way. Most people skirt this issue by declaring the wellness program optional and as an additional benefit of employment, not as a substitute for actual benefits.

Cheers!

MBA Fin/MBS HR

My views only!

Return to Top
#1517881 - 03/04/11 07:41 PM Re: Wellness Program and Discrimination AFaquir
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I would take a look at the 2006 Final Guidance from DoL, IRS, and DHHS regarding HIPAA and Wellness Programs

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/regs/fab2008-2.html

Some states also have Smokers' Rights rules..

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry