Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1635831 - 12/06/11 04:39 PM Football Pool
bankladyrulz Offline
New Poster
Nebraska, USA
We have a CSR who has asked if he can start a football pool for our employees. My HR isn't concerned about this, but wanted to check it out with Compliance - I just don't think this is a good idea at all.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1635843 - 12/06/11 04:45 PM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Basketball and Football pools are common place in the work place, especially when they are for a nominal amount. Always a good idea to have upper management included in the pool.

Return to Top
#1635852 - 12/06/11 04:49 PM Re: Football Pool osucpa
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
^^ sarcasm?

I would avoid the pool if possible. Or, at the very least, make it well known that the pool is NOT an employer-sponsored event. Have employees communicate using their personal email addresses instead of their bank ones.

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1635888 - 12/06/11 05:14 PM Re: Football Pool manimal
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
We have had football, March Madness brackets, and do a pool with the Survivor show as well. Management's stance has been that as long as it does not interfere with work time and doesn't utilize company resources (email or intranet for results posting etc) they will let it continue. I'm still not really a fan of it, but we don't seem to have a problem with people breaking those rules.

Return to Top
#1635902 - 12/06/11 05:24 PM Re: Football Pool Matt_B
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
As Compliance Officer, I always avoided (since they are technically not legal), but I looked the other way as long as nobody was taking too much time from their job or using company resources to support the pool.

Return to Top
#1635904 - 12/06/11 05:26 PM Re: Football Pool BrendaC
A_G Online
10K Club
Similar discussion and thoughts from a few months ago...

Return to Top
#1655285 - 01/24/12 09:31 PM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Just to add to this, we had examiners here in March and had a March Madness pool going on. Naturally, I thought they were going to nail us to the wall for having a pool. Instead, they wanted to know who was winning and how to get in and no, that wasn't a test.

I think even examiners know people need a little, harmless release from their jobs. smile

Return to Top
#1655295 - 01/24/12 09:39 PM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
My example in that other thread is a real life example. On bank time and on bank computers employees were keeping the pool spreadsheet, it was huge. Money was in an interest bearing account and audit kept all of the records. Bank email was used to send around updates. The entire bank participated, as well as their families and customers! Aggghhh. And this was in a state that has shut down such pools and arrested people.

We (me and legal) shut it down and told them if some employees (outside of audit, risk, compliance and legal) did this informally on their own time, staff only, we would look the other way. A little sanity is nice once in a while.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1655500 - 01/25/12 02:27 PM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Return to Top
#1657547 - 01/28/12 01:55 AM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
I know I am a little late to this thread, but take a look at your regulators rules on this. If money is required to enter the "pool," then this is a lotter and forbidden. Also, as KB said, many states also prohibit this and are very active in enforcing it.

Here is the link to the FDIC's rules: http://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/1000-2200.html

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#1657667 - 01/30/12 02:47 PM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
WKBanker Offline
New Poster
As long as no one is getting a cut or "juice" as they say in the betting world, it's not going to be a problem. Keep the entry fees low.

I would say that nearly every bank in Kentucky has a Kentucky Derby pool amongst it's employees.

Return to Top
#1659005 - 02/01/12 03:40 PM Re: Football Pool BrendaC
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Originally Posted By: BrendaC
As Compliance Officer, I always avoided (since they are technically not legal), but I looked the other way as long as nobody was taking too much time from their job or using company resources to support the pool.

^^ My stance as well. Management can't condone this. It is an illegal activity as it meets the definition of a lottery. But it is going to happen. It is like going 5 MPH over the limit, it's a minor infraction. If it gets big, uses bank resources, or is openly boasted about, that is a problem and they're now 15 MPH too fast.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1660922 - 02/06/12 03:06 PM Re: Football Pool bankladyrulz
RulesFollower Offline
100 Club
So, any big winners on your "illegally" obtained squares??

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry