Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1918175 - 04/28/14 07:07 PM Req Employee to use internet banking?
ahb Offline
100 Club
ahb
WestMass
Our Bank is considering requiring employees to use the Bank's internet banking program, for their personal bank accounts, either during work time or to require the employee to to do this on their personal time? Does anyone else (besides me) have any issues with this?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#1918179 - 04/28/14 07:11 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Do you mean in lieu of going into the bank's systems to do banking, or requiring them to sign up for internet banking and accept disclosures online, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1918512 - 04/29/14 05:55 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
ahb Offline
100 Club
ahb
WestMass
The bank is looking for the employees to use internet banking for their personal accounts. It would mean accessing their accounts through personal computers (if it is accessed at home which is the Bank's preference)or accessed with the Bank's computers if the access is during work time.

Any employee who has not already signed up for internet banking would have to accept disclosures etc.

Return to Top
#1918580 - 04/29/14 07:27 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
It sounds like your bank is wanting to restrict access to employee accounts through their core processing system.

Return to Top
#1918607 - 04/29/14 08:10 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Another possibility is that management wants staff members to be fluent with the online access features, etc., so they can respond to customer questions about it. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet that they don't want staff members using the access available as part of their job positions (part of the core programs) because it doesn't have robust enough controls.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1918618 - 04/29/14 08:23 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Restricting access to core for personal use is fine and should be done. The remaining question is can these bank customers be forced to accept online banking, disclosures, etc. i would say okay if the employee/customer can decline online banking, obtain paper statements and disclosures like other customers.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1918708 - 04/30/14 12:57 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
ahb Offline
100 Club
ahb
WestMass
John's observation is closer to my understanding of the facts behind the request; The Bank wants to require its employees to use its internet banking features to promote the product and to ensure that the employees are fluent in it.

Leaving aside the issues with the on line banking disclosures etc, one primary concern is that if the Bank says to its employees you have to use internet banking at least x times per week; is this something for which the Bank would be required to pay the employees?

Thanks,
Last edited by ahb; 04/30/14 12:57 PM.
Return to Top
#1918747 - 04/30/14 01:42 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
GoneToTexas Offline
100 Club
Texas
We had a marketing campaign to get customers to sign up for our internet banking. The customer's account was given a credit of $10 after signing up. To kick it off, employees were offered the same deal, only 30 days earlier. Marketing also did a scavenger hunt, where employees had to find certain features on internet banking, and had drawings for prizes for those who found the right answers. They were allowed to do this on bank time. We had great participation, which resulted in our employees being more familiar with the product - which of course, led to better customer service.

Bottom line - I feel this was a better solution than requiring the employees to use internet banking. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Return to Top
#1920691 - 05/07/14 02:50 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: ahb
one primary concern is that if the Bank says to its employees you have to use internet banking at least x times per week; is this something for which the Bank would be required to pay the employees?

i'm confused by this statement. if i make no transactions for a period of time, i'm not going to be logging on to OLB. if they are logging on at work, as mentioned in an earlier post, aren't they already being paid?

I think you are not providing enough information. For example, what if you don't bank at your bank? Will they make the employee open an account solely to log on? What are the ramifications if someone doesn't log in X times per week but logs in fewer (the old X-y?) I think a frank discussion with whomever is making this proposal should be held, rather than asking our opinion when we don't know what the full plan is. Always best to go to the source.

Return to Top
#1932786 - 06/16/14 02:52 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
jennm Offline
New Poster
Kanas City metro area
I used to work in a bank that REQUIRED its retail banking employees to have a checking account, be a user of internet banking and do at least one bill pay per month. We literally had people have a $10 credit deposited into their account and then a bill payment check mailed to themselves each month.

Silly and not effective at all, I know. Ensuring your employees can understand and use your internet/mobile products is extremely important when you want to promote those channels--sometimes there is a right way to get that accomplished and sometimes a wrong way.

Return to Top
#1933904 - 06/19/14 01:45 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
we had frontline employees that didn't use our electronic suite of products and thus they have a hard time selling them. We found it more productive to incent employee to sell them - nothing major, pizza parties for the branches with the highest cross sell ratios, coffee gift cards for those individuals that sold the most etc. Those employees that had a hard time quickly got up to speed so they didn't feel left out - we also got managers on board early - they modeled the behavior for their employees and employees signed up. much better than "requiring" something -

Return to Top
#1968896 - 10/10/14 06:37 PM Re: Req Employee to use internet banking? ahb
InternalOdditor Offline
New Poster
InternalOdditor
I would check your state laws. Here in KY, we can require that someone have a bank account for the purposes of direct deposit, but we CANNOT dictate at what institution that account is held. You may be getting into some tricky territory if you require all employees to bank with you, and utilize the online banking feature.

S

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry