Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2153463 - 11/14/17 04:59 PM Employee Professionalism
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
We're having a difficult time at the bank lately with employees being unprofessional to customers, gossiping, and talking terribly about each other constantly. It starts with one of our employees, but she gets others riled up. It got to the point today where one of our newer (< 1 year) employees came to our Cashier nearly in tears talking about how upset she is about the other employee's treatment of each other and her wondering what they're saying about her when she's gone.

I hear a lot of it with where I sit, but I tend to just turn on some music and tune it out... which is not the right response, but I'm not sure how to handle it properly. We want to give people the chance and not rule with an iron fist, but we also understand the need for professionalism around here. We see each other more than our families, and nobody should be miserable while we're here.

So... thoughts?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2153466 - 11/14/17 05:08 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Somebody with some clout needs to sit down with everyone and have a "come to Jesus" meeting. This has all the makings of a hostile work environment and not addressing it is eventually asking for trouble.

Return to Top
#2153468 - 11/14/17 05:19 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Agreed Randy. Also a potential for slander and privacy issues if overheard by customers/the public which screams reputation risk. Also, I noticed you said it starts with one employee and she gets everyone riled up. Where is her manager and why hasn't this been addressed as a performance issue?

Return to Top
#2153472 - 11/14/17 05:27 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Doesn't your bank have a code of ethics in the employee handbook?
It would seem to me that a meeting with HR and your bank President presiding and outlining acceptable behavior and the consequences of not adhering to the policy is in order.

Return to Top
#2153477 - 11/14/17 05:36 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Compliance Rookie Offline
North Carolina
Originally Posted By MScarn6942
We're having a difficult time at the bank lately with employees being unprofessional to customers, gossiping, and talking terribly about each other constantly. It starts with one of our employees, but she gets others riled up.

It sounds like you've identified the problem. The real question is why is this disruptive person allowed to go unchecked? Her manager needs to shut this down immediately with conduct warnings issued per your HR policy (verbal, written, etc.)

I get that no one wants to be the bad guy, but this sounds like bullying in the workplace and there should be zero tolerance for it. If you're turning a blind eye, then you are passively participating in and condoning this nonsense. And as the others have already stated, regardless of whether it's your responsibility or someone else's, it needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

Return to Top
#2153491 - 11/14/17 06:07 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
One way

It might be handled at first with a general meeting that customers and a good working relationship are both necessary to exist, and that an effect on either one is detrimental to the bank. Indicate that there has been a serious amount of general gossiping, etc going on, and the last it will happen was one minute ago. Our code of conduct says xxx. All managers and officers are aware of this rule, and this rule will be strictly enforced. If you do not like it, you are free to leave. If there are any employees being unprofessional to customers, gossiping, and talking terribly about each other, they will be terminated. Attached is a copy of our policy - please acknowledge receipt and understanding and give to HR.

Thank you and have a pleasant day.

Return to Top
#2153492 - 11/14/17 06:14 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Thanks everyone! Just to answer your questions...

We, as management, aren't as strong as we need to be and have let it go too long without addressing it. 100% our fault. We haven't fallen back on our Harassment policy because it only addresses "discriminatory" harassment, and this isn't discriminatory... it's just mean. These are not excuses for us to allow it or continue managing the way we have been. We just need to step up and get this under control, and soon.

That said, we have an all-employee meeting (only 14 of us) on Monday. Our thought was to talk to everyone at once about it, but from reading your responses, it sounds like we should meet with the one employee on her own and address it more generally with the staff as a whole. Thoughts?

Return to Top
#2153495 - 11/14/17 06:28 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
I would go everyone at first and after (alone) the general meeting ask employee X if she understood. Everyone would be treated the same, and after X would know that she is getting additional attention. Non-accusatory.

Dale Carnegie had referenced that technique several times in his books.

Return to Top
#2153504 - 11/14/17 06:44 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Rocky - I was typing my post while you sent yours so I missed it! Thanks! I think that's a good idea to talk to her afterwards so that she gets the message without it being accusatory. Then, after we meet, we've got the opportunity to handle it more firmly going forward.

Return to Top
#2153511 - 11/14/17 07:07 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Dale Carnegie notwithstanding, there's no way talking to the one employee separately is going to go down on non-accusatory. You're singling her out. That's accusatory.

Do the meeting. Get the signature on the statement that Rocky outlined above. Then wait. The first time you hear the one employee start in, ask her to your office and remind her of the meeting. The second time you hear her start up, write her up.

Return to Top
#2153514 - 11/14/17 07:19 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Compliance Rookie Offline
North Carolina
I like the above suggestions. I would add to just be very clear in your meeting as far as outlining your expectations for conduct and the consequences for violating those expectations:

We need you to understand that this behavior is inappropriate and will not be tolerated going forward. If problems continue then (list consequences, e.g. first a verbal warning, then a written, then a final written, then termination.)

Finally, make sure that you follow through in regard to all employees. Even if this individual has been an instigator, you can't allow anyone to skate after you've delivered the message. Hold everyone accountable to the same standard.

Return to Top
#2153556 - 11/14/17 09:41 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
I'm Not A Banker Offline
I'm Not A Banker
My two cents as a non-HR person: All of the "well-behaved" employees really resent being talked to as a group or getting mandates because of the bad behavior of others. It has happened in every organization I've worked at and no one likes it. Address it directly (or as a group and then directly if you must) but the bad actor needs to know he or she is the bad actor. It's amazing the lack of insight people have about things. ie, "Leggings are not appropriate attire, team." Team member wears leggings the next day. She doesn't call them leggings so she has no awareness. Deal with people directly.

Return to Top
#2153579 - 11/15/17 01:35 AM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm Not a Banker, the OP stated that the bad behavior is coming from all of the employees. One is an instigator but they all are guilty. Compliance Rookie nailed it.

Return to Top
#2153720 - 11/15/17 07:39 PM Re: Employee Professionalism Truffle Royale
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Good article on this subject.

Return to Top
#2153776 - 11/15/17 09:20 PM Re: Employee Professionalism MScarn6942
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I would have a department meeting first, in which I state that I will also be following up with each individual in a one-on-one to make sure they have a complete understanding, and that there may be information shared in the one-on-one that relates solely to that person and not needed for discussion in general meeting.

general meeting would be reinforcement of professionalism, treating each other with respect, that we will not tolerate what has been occurring, very high level, and that punishment for infringement can be varied, but up to termination.

individual meetings would cover specific instances seen, providing examples, and reiterating that it stops now...

Return to Top
#2159276 - 01/04/18 10:04 PM Re: Employee Professionalism I'm Not A Banker
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Years ago I had employees in my branch who were managed by someone in another city. Occasionally we would get a fax like this: 'It has been brought to my attention by the branch managers say that you are coming in late and not letting them know when you leave early. This must stop, blah, blah, blah.' Of course the employees would come to me wanting to know what in heck, when in point of fact we had no problem in our branch, When I would bring this to his attention he would say it didn't matter because there were others who needed to hear it. This is the problem with calling everyone on the carpet. I think the suggestion that an informational meeting is held is fine, but that is not the time to announce that heads will roll, in my opinion.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry