Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2235304 - 04/21/20 12:15 PM COVID and vacation
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
has anyone started looking at either allowing people to carry over vacation to next year (if your bank doesn't normally allow that) or considering buying back some vacation weeks since most people probably will not be able to get all their vacation taken this year? one of the paths we are exploring:

if you get 2 weeks, you take it
if you get 3 weeks, must take 2 and carry over or sell 1
if you get 4 weeks, must take 2 and carry over or sell 2 (can sell 1 carry 1)

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2235305 - 04/21/20 12:35 PM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
hatman Offline
We've let everyone know that all employees will be compensated for their unused vacation and we've offered to buy some back. While it's still early in the year, we wanted to make the offer in case the extra cash could help them if their family income has been impacted by COVID. We are not allowing carryover into next year. (Who knows what will happen next year!)

Return to Top
#2235869 - 04/29/20 11:32 AM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
I agree with the carryover issue. As a manager, I'm not a big fan of it at all and you are right ~~ we may be dealing with this again later this year.

I also don't like the idea of buying back vacation days. Employees should TAKE their vacation days. I don't want my employees to be burned out. I want them to take time off to rest.

My employees are resisting taking vacation which presents a problem for me as a manager. They are waiting to schedule their vacations for later in the year. I'm new here and we allow carry over. What will happen is that they will want to take them all around the same time later this year and we will have issues with coverage in the department.

COVID-19 or not, employees should be encouraged to take their vacation. The fact that they can't do what they would otherwise do is unfortunate, but it's affecting all of us.

Return to Top
#2235892 - 04/29/20 02:18 PM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
At least you are not working at a place that is forcing their employees to take one day of vacation each week for the next eight weeks to eliminate the accrued vacation payment liability due to the financial situation of the entity.

Return to Top
#2235930 - 04/29/20 05:09 PM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i have heard of companies making employees take all vacation then all sick leave in lieu of layoff...then when both were exhausted return to work

Return to Top
#2235969 - 04/30/20 01:16 PM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
Yes, I am grateful for not having to deal with either of those situations. Just not looking forward to the scheduling issues and getting the work done. Beside, we may be looking at a second wave later this year.

I'm grumpy. I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow to work on my backyard oasis. smile

Return to Top
#2235971 - 04/30/20 01:31 PM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm taking tomorrow and Monday. Since I've been working from home I see lots of things that need to be done - windows - spring cleaning, etc.

Enjoy your day, Trying!

Return to Top
#2235973 - 04/30/20 01:35 PM Re: COVID and vacation HappyGilmore
TryingtoComply Offline
Diamond Poster
The West
I've been noticing those things too and will be cleaning downstairs window as well!

Enjoy your four days Skittles!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry