BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#602060 - 08/21/06 02:08 PM Copy machine toner and health issues
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
What a way to start the day.

I have a proof operator that runs in a room in which has a fax machine, copy machine, and mail machine. It's a good sized room and we're in a new building so there's good ventilation.

The proof operator has complained bitterly since moving about how she hates that the copy machine is in 'her' room. First, she complains that the room is too small. Then, she complains that there's too much stuff in there. Now, she's complaining that the toner in the copy machine can make her sick and she thinks the copy machine should be moved because she has asthma.

Oh, I forgot to mention that she chain smokes. I feel like telling her the reason she has respitory problems is due to her smoking for the last 40 years...

I have nowhere to move the copy machine. No where. We've moved it to the far end of 'her' room. I also feel like telling her that the dust the accumulates on the machine and the electrostatic duster used to get rid of it is much worse than the copy machine.

Help? What do I do? Is her argument valid? Should I request a note from her doctor that states that she is having problems because of the copy machine?

AAHHH!

Return to Top
Human Resources
#602061 - 08/21/06 02:22 PM Re: Copy machine toner and health issues
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
can you keep the door open? How about purchasing a room purifier (I forget the actual term, but one of those fans that Sharper Image sells that "cleans the air")?

Return to Top
#602062 - 08/21/06 02:39 PM Re: Copy machine toner and health issues
Chiquita Banana Offline
Diamond Poster
Chiquita Banana
The banana bin
The door is always kept open. I can try suggesting a room purifier but I doubt it will placate her. I think she's just mad it's in 'her' room. But it's worth a shot.

Return to Top
#602063 - 08/21/06 03:59 PM Re: Copy machine toner and health issues
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Take a look at the ingredients in the copy toner your bank uses. Some contain heavy metals. Also refer to this OSHA letter this OSHA letter that addresses this subject. Intermittent use of a copy machine is not covered by OSHA standards but prolonged exposure is because of toner contents, etc.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#602064 - 08/21/06 04:42 PM Re: Copy machine toner and health issues
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Can you partition off the portion of the room the copier is in, thereby removing it from "her" room and granting it its own room? Partitions (not dry wall) are not unduly expensive. You will also be able to demonstrate that you heard and acted on her "health" complaint should she seek legal remedy.

Return to Top
#602065 - 08/24/06 08:54 PM Re: Copy machine toner and health issues
TDM Offline
Why is that some employees lose sight of the fact that they work for the bank and not the other way around? And when do they forget that they're lucky to have a job and that, if it's really that awful, they don't have to stay and make everyone else miserable? Do they also forget that they can be fired by their employer?

Sounds like you've described an employee or two that we have here. Very frustrating. Our bank, in my opinion, has been way too lenient with these employees who just aren't happy with anything. Always one thing or another wrong... usually multiple things.

I feel your pain!

Return to Top
#602066 - 08/28/06 09:06 PM Re: Copy machine toner and health issues
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
CB,

How did this get resolved?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry