Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#610931 - 09/08/06 02:19 PM Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
Jeremy Brown Offline
New Poster
I am in the process of drafting both a policy and procedure on the handling of employee accounts (opening, maintenance, transactions etc).

The proposed policy would limit the opening of employee accounts and family member's accounts to myself (the HR Administrator) and the Member Services Manager. The maintenance of these accounts would be limited to the Member Services Manager and the Head Teller.

Do any of you have any similar policies that I could review and take into consideration?

Thank you,

Jeremy Brown

Return to Top
Human Resources
#610932 - 09/12/06 05:20 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
We do not treat out employees any differently from our customers. New employees open their accounts with the branch customer service representatives and if maintenance is needed, they request through a CSR or phone center personnel. Employee overdrafts are monitored in Human Resources and employees get a free checking account but other than that they are treated like everyone else!

Return to Top
#610933 - 09/12/06 06:16 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
My experience with this has been employees would open their account with any new account rep. Maintenance was limited to a select few within the organization. As for employee's family members, those could be opened and maintained by anyone other than the employee. Also, our tellers can not process transactions for themselves or family members. Employee accounts are "coded" and needed a password to view the balance/activity that only the employee should have. This prevents others from 'looking' at direct deposit amounts, etc.

Return to Top
#610934 - 09/12/06 06:26 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

My experience with this has been employees would open their account with any new account rep. Maintenance was limited to a select few within the organization. As for employee's family members, those could be opened and maintained by anyone other than the employee. Also, our tellers can not process transactions for themselves or family members. Employee accounts are "coded" and needed a password to view the balance/activity that only the employee should have. This prevents others from 'looking' at direct deposit amounts, etc.

It's been the same at the institutions I've worked at, except we don't have passwords to view employee accounts. The only people that the computer system allows to look at those are people from HR, the security department, and high levels of management. Employees can only look at their own, if they try to look up any other employees, an 'unauthorized access' message pops (must be tied in with the ID used for them to sign on to the system).

Return to Top
#610935 - 09/12/06 07:10 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
Jeremy Brown Offline
New Poster
Quote:

As for employee's family members, those could be opened and maintained by anyone other than the employee. Also, our tellers can not process transactions for themselves or family members.

Perfect.... that is essentially what I had drafted in the policy/procedure. The reason why the opening of the initial account would be limited to myself or the Member Services Manager, is to ensure the employee's member number is reported to IT and the appropriate blocks (mentioned in others' posts) can be placed.

For those who responded (and those reading...), does the individual who opens the account code the account as an employee account, or is there a method used to report the new employee's account number to H.R. or I.T.?

Also, how have ya'll defined "Family Member"-- What I have placed in the policy was:

Family member is defined as any immediate family member (i.e. parent, step-parent, sibling) including the spouse, partner, boyfriend, girlfriend of the family member.

Thank you all for your responses!

Return to Top
#610936 - 09/12/06 07:37 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
We define as immediate family (as you have listed) and anyone living in the same household as the employee (works for roommates as well)

Return to Top
#610937 - 09/12/06 08:35 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
For those who responded (and those reading...), does the individual who opens the account code the account as an employee account, or is there a method used to report the new employee's account number to H.R. or I.T.?

Yes, we have a field on our core system to indicate Employee/Insider. We also consider anyone "in the household" a member of family.
Last edited by mck401; 09/12/06 08:36 PM.

Return to Top
#1312285 - 12/23/09 03:26 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts mck401
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this on, but I'm going to go for it anyways.

We employees so they cannot access/transfer to their own accounts via our core system. We require them to use the ATM/online banking.

My question is in regards to family members. We currently do not have family member's accounts coded on the system as employee accounts. Since we do not have them coded this means that employees can access, transfer, etc. to their family member accounts. Internal audit does do a monthly review of these.

I would like to know if other banks restrict access to both employee AND family member accounts via their core system.

Thanks.

Return to Top
#1312450 - 12/23/09 05:13 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts morirse de risa
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
It has been the policy everywhere I have worked that an employee is prohibited from doing any transaction for a family member. This includes taking a deposit or cashing a check at the teller window; doing any online maintenance such as address change; opening a new account, or any type of transfer between accounts. You just don't do it, period.

Return to Top
#1312690 - 12/23/09 07:51 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts morirse de risa
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: HuskerBanker
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this on, but I'm going to go for it anyways.

We employees so they cannot access/transfer to their own accounts via our core system. We require them to use the ATM/online banking.

My question is in regards to family members. We currently do not have family member's accounts coded on the system as employee accounts. Since we do not have them coded this means that employees can access, transfer, etc. to their family member accounts. Internal audit does do a monthly review of these.

I would like to know if other banks restrict access to both employee AND family member accounts via their core system.

Thanks.

We have no mechanism for blocking access/restricting transactions on family accounts, but like others we prohibit employees to conduct transactiosn or maintenance for family.

In addition, we have the same restrictions in place for any related interest of the emoployee, not just relatives. For example, if a bank staff member is on the local church council (and thus able to make decisions on behalf of the church), that staff member is prohibited from completing transactiosn or maintenance for the church.

Return to Top
#1312761 - 12/23/09 08:26 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts JacF
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Employees are told they are not supposed to conduct business for family members. They are supposed to give it to another employee to conduct. However, since our system does not block them from doing this, they could if they wanted to.

How do you monitor? Besides from reviewing employee accounts do you check any access logs?

Return to Top
#1312804 - 12/23/09 08:43 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts morirse de risa
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Generally, it's hard to monitor transactiosn for family members/related interests, since it is not always apparent to which accounts the restrictions would apply. If a prohibit transaaction is identified through routine review of maintenance reports, teller difference research, etc.- then the affected parties would be subject to additional monitoring (which is done manually).

Return to Top
#1316590 - 01/03/10 03:19 AM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts JacF
doorsfan1974 Offline
doorsfan1974
Birmingham, AL
My personal advice is to not bank where you work. You don't want your financial information floating around at your own financial institution. And also, the Internal Audit department audit's employee accounts reqularly, and that is another invasion of privacy. I have a story about when I worked for Superior Bank in Birmingham. Back in 2006 I had a car accident, and the insurance company "totalled" out my car and issued me a check for the value of my car. Fortunately, I had equity in my car, so I was able to deposit $3000.00 of the check into my checking account that I could use to pay down on a new car. Well, one day, the Director of Security at my bank actually called me in to ask me about the recent "large deposit" to my account. I was appalled that they were asking me about my personal account, and about a totally legitimate transaction. I was offended by this invasion of privacy. You would think at least before they called me out, that the bank would have the technology to determine that this was an insurance check, and not just a "cash" deposit. My gosh! Everybody in the bank knew I had a car accident! Well, I wound up closing my "employee" account and I took my personal business to another financial institution. There are too may banks offering "free checking" to the public. So who wants to open up their private finances to their employer? It's beyond me!
Last edited by doorsfan1974; 01/03/10 03:24 AM.

Return to Top
#1316956 - 01/04/10 06:03 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts doorsfan1974
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
Do you include spouse's parents/siblings/etc. in the following definition?
"Family member is defined as any immediate family member (i.e. parent, step-parent, sibling) including the spouse, partner, boyfriend, girlfriend of the family member."

Thanks for the help. I think I'm reading into this too much.

Return to Top
#1333058 - 01/28/10 06:03 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts morirse de risa
Its Just Me Offline
Midwest
Is anyone here requiring employees to sign off on something stating they understand they cannot open accounts for themselves or their family members, process transactions on their own accounts, sign bank checks in which they are the payee, etc? If so, would you be willing to share your agreemet with me?

Return to Top
#1333198 - 01/28/10 07:34 PM Re: Employee Accounts + Family Accounts Its Just Me
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Our employees acknowledge receipt of the employee handbook

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry