Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2151680 - 10/30/17 06:45 PM Employee Terminations
RDHopkins Offline
New Poster
I am in the process of working with my HR Department to develop a process for employee terminations. I have a few materials and articles for reference, but I am wondering what the processes are in the "real world." Can anyone share the communication that should occur between HR, Security, and IT in the event of an employee termination? Such as when does Security become aware that an employee is being terminated? Is Security only involved if the supervisor feels there may be a threat of violence?

Any feedback on polices and procedures would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2151695 - 10/30/17 07:14 PM Re: Employee Terminations RDHopkins
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
I would think your HR Department should drive this process. In a termination situation, HR and the responsible department utilize a checklist to determine which departments need to be notified. Clearly, IT needs to be notified to lock out access to the system. Depending on the employee's role other departments may need to be notified. If we felt their could be an issue during the termination process, our Security Officer may include the local police department.

Return to Top
#2151696 - 10/30/17 07:19 PM Re: Employee Terminations RDHopkins
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
There are a whole slew of termination checklists on-line - just Google: Employee Termination Checklist. A financial institution is really not that much different than any other business.

Return to Top
#2151713 - 10/30/17 09:08 PM Re: Employee Terminations RDHopkins
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
"Is Security only involved if the supervisor feels there may be a threat of violence?"

Bad idea. If you are going to involve security, involve them on every termination. Otherwise when they show up for one person and not another it won't look so bad which could make the situation escalate even further.

Return to Top
#2151727 - 10/31/17 03:00 AM Re: Employee Terminations RDHopkins
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
In our shop, all roster moves are communicated to the same group. Security is on the list, as are several others. Security manages building access and alarm codes, so Security needs to be aware of each move. Notice goes out ahead of time of voluntary departures.

If it's an involuntary termination, Security is notified prior to the termination if there is a concern with misuse of building access. If no such concern exists, then Security is notified by the end of the day. Of course, on those rare special occasions with elevated concerns, Security is invited to participate in the termination.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry