Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1575388 - 07/08/11 12:07 PM TN law regarding issuing SAV accts. to minors
VolFan Offline
100 Club
Our operations personnel has stated that TN does not allow UTMA accounts; that "minor" savings accounts are required to be "joint" accounts with an adult in order to provide the minor child access to the funds in the account. My first question is, Is this true? Second question, since TN does not allow for minors to contract for a deposit account, how can the bank set up a "joint" account and allow a minor to sign the signature card and sign to withdraw funds? In some cases, accounts have been opened for young children whose name has been signed by the joint adult on the account. When child reaches adolescence, she/he begins signing for withdrawals on their own without the joint adult and the only signature on file for the minor is the one signed by the joint adult at opening. This just seems a bad, overall practice. We have procedures in place to update the signature card when the minor reaches majority, but don't quite know how to handle the "in between" time. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Return to Top
#1575399 - 07/08/11 12:36 PM Re: TN law regarding issuing SAV accts. to minors VolFan
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Show them this:

Title 35 - Fiduciaries And Trust Estates
Chapter 7 - Tennessee Uniform Transfers to Minors Act

Then tell "them" to do the rest of the research to back up the rest of the claims that they are making.

Return to Top
#1576011 - 07/11/11 12:47 PM Re: TN law regarding issuing SAV accts. to minors rlcarey
VolFan Offline
100 Club
Thanks so much for the cite info. That helps me alot!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Jack Holzknecht