Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2186541 - 07/23/18 09:12 PM MLO registered on NMLS to mtg co sub & parent bank
scb2011 Offline
Gold Star
TN
Is it ok, for an MLO registered to the bank's mortgage company subsidiary to be added to the bank's MLO registry on NMLS as well. The reason to add this person is they will be originating some loans for the bank as well. Is this permissible? I called NMLS and they referred me to the state of TN where we are located, where the MLO is registered. I called the state of TN and was put in someone's voice mail where I left a message. Does anyone know if this is ok to do?

Return to Top
#2187209 - 07/28/18 11:03 AM Re: MLO registered on NMLS to mtg co sub & parent bank scb2011
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
According to the NMLS, it should be possible if TN allows it:

Can a dually regulated MLO do loans for both a mortgage company and a bank?

ANSWER
There can be some interesting situations when banks and mortgage companies get together. Let’s say there is a scenario where Main Street Bank buys ABC Mortgage. Both Main Street and ABC Mortgage are working throughout New England. And let’s say Bob used to work for ABC Mortgage and held licenses all over New England. But now that Bob is connected to Main Street Bank, he can work directly for them and use one Federal Registration to do business all over New England under Main Street Bank. But for some reason he also kept his state license active in New Hampshire, and that license is sponsored by ABC Mortgage. Bob is dually regulated. Because of this, Bob is able to: 1. Originate for Main Street Bank anywhere that Main Street operates, or 2. Originate for ABC Mortgage in New Hampshire. What Bob cannot do is originate for ABC Mortgage outside of New Hampshire, because his connection to ABC Mortgage is only through his New Hampshire license. If Bob originates a loan in Vermont, he must do so through Main Street Bank.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Jack Holzknecht