Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2139142 - 07/21/17 08:03 PM Military Lending Act
Marissa Graham Offline
New Poster
We have a couple that is obtaining a consumer loan secured by another consumer's motorcycle. The grantor of the motorcycle is in the military as active duty. He is not a dependent of the couple obtaining the loan either. Would MLA apply to this loan?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2139195 - 07/24/17 01:39 PM Re: Military Lending Act Marissa Graham
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
I wouldn't think this would be a covered loan becasue the individual in the milititary is not a covered borrower. He is just pledging collateral for the loan. I would however ensure controls are in place to ensure the motorcycle isn't reposessed without following SCRA guidelines if the loan goes bad.

Return to Top
#2139496 - 07/25/17 09:12 PM Re: Military Lending Act Marissa Graham
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree, and personally HATED loans like that. I believe the SCRA protections might apply in spirit, but in reality the SM has zero obligation to the bank and it couldn't be inferred the SM has to repay the debt. I'd have to study the language as that would be uncharted territory. But what happens if your borrower ships the bike to Europe, Hawaii or otherwise parks it while deployed and cancels insurance... Lots of possibilities, lots of things that could go wrong.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2139926 - 07/28/17 02:49 PM Re: Military Lending Act Marissa Graham
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Andy, I didn't check into the SCRA for this but was just mentioning they should. Do you think the SCRA provisions would apply based on the fact that you're reposessing their vehicle if the loan goes bad? Sounds like a bad spot to be in if it would come to that.

Return to Top
#2140006 - 07/28/17 05:07 PM Re: Military Lending Act Marissa Graham
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What it really comes down too is taking a third party pledge of collateral on wheels is just a really poor lending decision, regardless of MLA and SCRA implications. Someone needs to go back to lending school.

Return to Top
#2140050 - 07/28/17 06:12 PM Re: Military Lending Act Marissa Graham
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I'm looking for the "Like" button, Randy.

In this spirit, check out this article. It seems SM's will abandon their vehicles when they leave Hawaii and because of the SCRA protections, the City can't dispose of them. They are now parking them at golf courses and old city buildings.

https://www.stripes.com/news/honolulu-pl...95#.WXt9bYgrKF4
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z